Newborn to do list
Print this page and keep it somewhere safe so you can check that you are up-to-date with everything that you need to do-a lack of sleep from night-feeds means that you are likely to forget things!
Visit the Baby info hub for a complete list of articles, tools and more.
Don’t forget to sign-up for the free Bub Hub eNewsletter.
Enjoy this time and don’t forget to accept offers of help!
Early days must dos
- get a baby safety capsule fitted into your car(s) – you need to use it for every trip
- have your nappy bag stocked and ready to go
- print out our indispensible list of local helplines – some operate 24/7 free of charge for whenever you need help
- get along to your local child and maternal health clinic for health checks, plus social interaction with other new parents
- keep on top of your new baby paperwork:
- register your baby’s birth at your local birth registration office
- add your baby to your Medicare card
- add your child to your Private Health Insurance, if relevant
- add your child to your Medicare Family Safety Net
- complete application forms for government financial benefits
- ensure your baby has immunisations on schedule
- look into education options, including kindys and preschools – you need to get your name down scarily early at some institutions
Other to-dos plus fun stuff
- read through our ultimate guide baby tips blogs for advice and info on sleeping and settling, breastfeeding, bathing baby, nappy choices, starting solids and more…
- attend a local postnatal or mums and bubs exercise class and/or exercise at home (check with your healthcare provider first to ensure they are happy for you to recommence exercise)
- make your home safe
- meet up with other parents and join a local playgroup
- going back to work – find part-time, career and home-business help in our jobs portal
- see a specialist physiotherapist if you have postnatal aches and pains
- go to a special cinema screening for parents with young children
- entertain at home with options from our games to play with babies guide
- get a professional baby hand and feet print or cast or try a DIY kit at home
- arrange a christening, baptism or naming day
- don’t forget some special baby keepsakes
- organise professional family photos
Travelling, going on holiday or just out and about?
- visit our holidays portal for family friendly holiday options
- read our tips for travelling with a baby on public transport