We Aussies love a good snag. We usually associate them with barbecues in the summer sun.
But sausages are such a staple in Australian homes, they even go great in winter casseroles!
Check out this delicious new winter recipe for sausage casserole. You would normally need a slow cooker for this one, but just simmering gently over a low heat for a few hours will do the trick too.
- 8 Aussie Farmers Direct gourmet lamb sausages
- 1 tbsp Aussie Farmers Direct olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 eggplants, chopped
- 3/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until evenly browned. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add onion, garlic and eggplant to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until eggplant is golden. Stir in chilli and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Spoon eggplant mixture into slow cooker. Add sausages. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Stir in parsley and season with pepper.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and crusty bread.