Meet Samuel and his sister Connie.
Connie is a 35-year-old mum to two beautiful boys. Her brother Samuel is an Australian actor with a famous face and an instantly recognisable voice.
Connie has breast cancer and it’s terminal. Samuel has a promise to keep and a record to break. Together they are spreading the message of breast cancer awareness and raising funds for breast cancer research.
So how exactly are they doing it?
What is Love Your Sister?
Samuel is riding a unicycle around Australia. He is attempting to break the World Record for the longest unicyle journey. The record is 14,686.82km and Sam’s goal is 15,000km! He is currently about to hit 5000km, so there’s a little while to go yet.
He’s aiming to raise $1million on the way too.
Sam left Melbourne on February 15 and headed through South Australia and the Northern Territory. He’s just crossed into Western Australia and is cycling down the coast.
Expected arrival dates:
Broome – May 10
Port Headland – May 18
Karratha – May 22
Carnarvon – May 30
Monkey Mia – June 3
Geraldton – June 8
Dongara/Pt Denison – June 10
Leeman – June 11
Cervantes – June 12
Lancelin – June 13
Two Rocks – June 14
Perth – June 15
What can you do to help?
There are more than a few ways you can get involved in the Love Your Sister Campaign.
- You can donate money to the Love Your Sister cause – the Garvan Research Foundation. Details are on the Love Your Sister website.
- You can order a Love Your Sister collection tin so you can literally rattle the can and raise some money. Why not host a morning tea with some of your friends and help gather a few gold coins. Click her to order your collection tin.
- You can follow Love Your Sister on Facebook and or sign up to the Love Your Sister mailing list.
- You can DARE Samuel to perform some additional challenges (as if riding a unicyle around Australia isn’t challenging enough!). This photo is from the “tutu” challenge in Tennant Creek!
- Make a pledge to be tested for breast cancer yourself! Connie’s wish is that no other mums will have to say goodbye to their children. She wants women – even young women – to get tested. She knows that early intervention is the key to surviving breast cancer and she doesn’t want YOU to be in the position that she’s in.
- You can share your breast cancer story with the Bub Hub. Would you like to tell your story? We’d love to share it with the Bub Hub community.
- You can head out to meet Sam when he reaches your town. We’ll keep you up-to-date on where Sam’s heading.
Why are we supporting this cause?
We are supporting the Love Your Sister campaign because Connie’s story could happen to any one of us. It could happen to me, it could happen to you, your sister, your mother.
The Bub Hub community is exactly the community where Connie wants her message to be heard loudest. Just because you’re young, you’re not immune to the effects of this disease. Connie wishes that she’d been diagnosed earlier. She wishes that her doctor hadn’t told her she was too young when she first raised the possibility that she could have breast cancer. She wishes that she didn’t have to say ‘goodbye’ to her two young sons.
She hopes that her message will help make sure that you don’t either.
For more you can read Connie’s heartbreaking plea – that could save your life.
– written by Bub Hub editor Rebecca Galton