If you watched the news this week you’ve probably heard about the Federal Government’s $4 billion Dental Health Reform package.
I didn’t … my TV was either off – thanks to our new TV stays off (sometimes) policy – or tuned to ABC 4 Kids … so thankfully the Minister for Health Tanya Plibersek included the Bub Hub in a conference call to parenting media outlets.
So, the bit that you’ll be most interested in is this:
The other bits that may interest you (as they came as quite a surprise to me) were these stats taken from a report by the National Advisory Council on Dental Health
- Almost 20,000 kids under the age of 10 are hospitalised each year due to avoidable dental issues
- By age 15, 6 out of 10 kids have tooth decay
- If you earn more than $60,000 a year, you have, on average, 7 more teeth than Australia’s poorest people (<$20,000).
- 45.1% of 12 year olds had decay in their permanent teeth .
- In 2007, just under half (46%) of children aged 6 attending school dental services had a history of decay in their baby teeth
Oh – do you remember the school dentist van? I was so scared of those women!