Parents are being urged to check for a possible defect in a popular co-sleeping bassinet sold in Australia.
A recall notice has been issued for the Childcare Snuggle Time Bedside Sleeper — sold exclusively at Baby Bunting between May 2017 and September 2018 — because it poses a possible safety risk to infants.
In some circumstances the mattress base of the bassinet may lean very slightly left to right, towards the drop down side (the co-sleeper function side of the product).
While there have been no reports of injury caused by this product, the incline may cause the infant to roll if the unit is not set up correctly, placed on an unlevel surface or have a manufactured variation of 1.5 degrees. Health recommendations are for infants to sleep on their backs.
What can consumers do?
Not all units have been affected by this defect.
Anyone who has purchased the Childcare Snuggle Time Bedside Sleeper should test their unit and if the unit is not level.
Consumers can use the below steps to determine if they are in possession of an impacted unit:
1. Ensure the Bedside Sleeper is on an even and level floor
2. Remove the mattress from the bedside sleeper
3. Remove the base board and mattress from the mattress cover
4. Place the base board back to the position inside the sleeper where the mattress would usually lie
5. Place a round object (e.g. a pen, a small ball) in the middle of the base board and observe whether it rolls freely to one side. Alternatively, use a spirit level if you have one.
If your unit is NOT level, contact the distributor, who will issue a replacement mattress cover, which can be placed over the existing mattress of the product to ensure that any impacted units lay flat as intended.
Model number: 036310-356
Design: Storm Cloud
Barcode number: 9314824024786