IKEA has issued a recall of the PATRULL safety gates due to a risk of injury.
Customers who have purchased the PATRULL safety gates are been urged to stop using them immediately and return them to the store for a full refund.
A proof of purchase receipt will NOT be required to receive the refund.
The recall comes after reports of children falling down stairs because the gate’s locking mechanism has unexpectedly opened, due to the catch not returning to its original position, and the user not being aware of this.
This poses a significant safety risk for children.
The products were sold from February 2011 until June 2016.
The following products have been recalled:
1. 30200489 PATRULL safety gate 55-89 white AP CN
2. 60247635 PATRULL safety ext gate 12-24 white AP CN
3. 10226522 PATRULL KLÄMMA safety ext gate 6.5-13 white AP CN
4. 70226524 PATRULL KLÄMMA safety gate 73-87 white AP CN
5. 90226518 PATRULL FAST safety gate 65-106.5 white AP CN
6. 20175602 PATRULL FAST safety gate 72.1-110.9 beech AP CN
This latest recall comes in the same week as the controversy surrounding the company’s recall of millions of MALM sets of drawers in the US and Canada following the death of a toddler.
The MALM drawers are not being recalled in Australia – but customers are being urged to anchor their drawers to the wall as instructed and collect free replacements in store or online if they’ve misplaced the original anchors.
For more information visit www.IKEA.com.au/recalls or phone IKEA on: ACT/NSW – 02 8020 6641 Queensland – 07 3380 6800 or Victoria – 03 8523 2154.