The Bub Hub is turning 10 years old!
What were you doing in 2003?
It was quite a big year. The war in Iraq began. We mourned Katherine Hepburn, Johnny Cash and Slim Dusty. Australia lost the Rugby World Cup to England and Makybe Diva won the Melbourne Cup – the first of three wins. Chicago won the Oscar for Best Picture and Rove won the Gold Logie. The Black Eyed Peas asked “Where is the Love?” and we cheered as Lance Armstrong rode to victory in the Tour de France. Boy, haven’t things changed!
But most importantly, the Bub Hub launched nationally.
In the past 10 years:
- More than 100,000 members have joined our forum.
- Countless mums and dads have had their questions answers and their stress-levels reduced.
- There have been 6.5 million posts on the forum!
- Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of prizes have been won on our competitions page!
- So so many recipes have been shared, debates have been had and friendships have formed!
- More than 1600 parenting products have been reviewed in our Reviews Section.
- More than 12,000 listings have been included in our Parenting Directory.
- The Bub Hub has grown to become the largest independent parenting portal with more than 760,000 different people using the site every month (Neilsens).
So how did the Bub Hub come to be?
You can click here to read the full Bub Hub story but basically the idea for the Bub Hub was born shortly after the birth of Brad and Hilary Lauder’s first child. Hilary was new to Australia and had found it difficult to access info on local parenting services, activities, shops and products.
Instead of wishing someone would create a website that brought all of this info together – she set about creating one herself.
The Brisbane site officially launched on March 27, 2002, as the Lauder’s celebrated their son’s first birthday. And the national site followed on Australia Day, 2003.
The Lauder’s still run the Bub Hub from their converted garage with the help of five staff members and 20+ volunteer forum managers!
The newest staff member is BH Community – who is working on communicating with Bub Hub users and forum members on making the next 10 years as memorable as the last. And this year we moved across mediums – with the Bub Hub TV show airing on Briz31 from February 27, 7pm (with repeats on Thursdays 5.30pm and Saturdays at 3.30pm).
Thanks to everyone who has made Bub Hub the site that it is today!
Watch this space for news on our birthday celebrations and competitions!
And check out some of the screenshots of Bub Hub through the ages …
Bub Hub – Brisbane – 2002
Bub Hub – 2003
Bub Hub – 2005
Bub Hub – 2008
Bub Hub – 2009