Knowing how to make a basic white sauce – also known as bechamel sauce – will open up a whole new world of cooking for you.
It is the base sauce for many French dishes but you are probably more likely to come across it in a lasagne or poured over some cauliflower – delicious! It is the sauce you need for this delicious macaroni and cheese recipe or you can just add some grated cheese, shredded roast chicken, cooked pasta and Italian parsley for a quick meal to use up some leftover roast chicken.
Anyway – here’s the recipe for basic white sauce …
- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat
- Add flour and cook - stirring constantly - for one minute (be careful not to let it brown)
- Remove pan from the heat and add milk gradually while stirring into the flour/butter mix (also called a roux)
- Return the pan to the heat and stir constantly until the sauce thickens - should take about five minutes
- Season to taste with pepper
Image credit: tobi/123RF Stock Photo