Happy Lunar New Year!
Gong Xi Fa Cai (Congratulations and be prosperous!).
Chinese New Year celebrations commence on the second new moon after the Winter Solstice (remember, China is in the Northern Hemisphere, so that’s the equivalent of our Summer Solstice, which falls a few days before Christmas). This year it falls on 31 January and heralds the end of the Year of the Snake and the beginning of the Year of the Horse. It is said that this year will be a good year for romance, marriage and babies.
There are 12 animals that make up the Chinese Zodiac. Each is a representation of the five elements: wood, metal, fire, earth and water. The Horse is a fire sign and this year it is the Year of the Green Wood Horse. For the Chinese, the horse is a symbol of nobility, class, speed and perseverance.
Looking for a more prosperous and happy year in 2014?
- Lucky colours: green, red & purple
- Lucky numbers: 3, 4, 9
Having a baby this year? Horse babies are likely to be:
- Warm, friendly, happy
- Can’t sit still & get bored easily
- Easily excited
- Persistent & stubborn
- Independent & free-spirited
- Cheeky & like to make others smile or laugh
And as they grow up you might recognise these traits of Horse people:
- Intelligent & clever
- Active & energetic
- Extroverted & talkative
- Impatient & impulsive
- Restless, enjoys travel, may have trouble settling down or staying in one job.
- Like to be surrounded by family and friends
- Community-minded & engaging in front of an audience of friends and family
- Self confidence can sometimes suffer
- Can come off as know-it-all or self-centred due to a strong will.
Careers: Politics, leadership, pilot, sales, communications
Compatible with: Tiger, Goat or Dog; Worst with: Rat, Ox, Rabbit or Horse
- Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner
- Cameron Diaz
- Emma Watson
- Oprah Winfrey
- Prince Charles
Not born in the Year of the Horse? See the other Chinese Zodiac signs.
|Zodiac Sign||Birth year|
|Horse||2014, 2002, 1990, 1978|
|Sheep||2003, 1991, 1979, 1967|
|Monkey||2004, 1992, 1980, 1968|
|Rooster||2005, 1993, 1981, 1969|
|Dog||2006, 1994, 1982, 1970|
|Pig||2007, 1995, 1983, 1971|
|Rat||2008, 1996, 1984, 1972|
|Ox||2009, 1997, 1985, 1973|
|Tiger||2010, 1998, 1986, 1974|
|Rabbit||2011, 1999, 1987, 1975|
|Dragon||2012, 2000, 1988, 1976|
|Snake||2013, 2001, 1989, 1977|