Looking for a great casserole recipe? It’s a pretty standard dish in a lot of households, so why not give this recipe a try? The dumplings that go with it sound pretty tasty. There are instructions on how to cook it in a slow cooker as well.
- 800g beef rump or chuck steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400g reduced salt canned diced tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 30g margarine
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and excess water squeezed out
- 1/3 cup reduced fat milk
- Heat large saucepan and add half of the oil. Add onion and carrot.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat non-stick frying pan.
- Toss beef with remaining oil and cook in batches over high heat until browned.
- As each batch is browned add to saucepan with onion mixture.
- Add flour to saucepan and cook for 1 min while stirring.
- Add tomatoes, ½ cup of water and potatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Sift flour into bowl and rub in margarine or butter until mixture crumbly.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Add milk and mix to soft dough.
- Knead gently.
- Divide into 12 portions and form into rough balls, and place dumplings on top of casserole for the final 15 minutes of cooking.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until risen and cooked.
To cook in slow cooker
1. Brown meat and soften onion and carrot in oil in non-stick frying pan.
2. Add to slow cooker along with potatoes, flour, tomatoes and ½ cup water.
3. Stir to combine.
4. Cook for 6–7 hours on low or according to slow-cooker instructions.
5. Add dumplings for last ½ hour of cooking.
Blend 1/4 cup of casserole with juices and 1/4 dumpling until smooth.
Pulse 1/3 cup casserole with juices and 1/2 a dumpling in blender until partially smooth or mash with a fork for older infants.
When preparing the dumplings make some mini ones using 2 tsp of mixture. Put 1/2 cup of casserole in a small bowl. Surround with cut up steamed green vegetables.
Spoon 3/4 cup of casserole into a small bowl. When preparing dumplings, make some mini ones using 2 tsp of mixture. Encourage your toddler to eat with a fork. Serve with steamed green vegetables.