+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile 3 year old not wanting to go to toilet

I have a 3 year old daughter who is not taking to toilet training. she will some times go if I put her on myself, but she is not clicking to the signals that she needs to go and taking herself to the toilet.
    we have made the toilet easy for her to use and also have a potty for her to use if she prefers. have put her in undies and she just wee's and poo's in them.
    We have a sticker chart in the toilet for when she does go in the toilet.
    Whenever I ask if she needs to go, she always says no, even if she goes minutes later in her pull up.
    other wise, her development is normal, so not worried about that.
    Any suggestions for anyone who has been through this with an older child?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD didn't toilet train until she was 3, we had tried earlier and it just didn't work. It may be that she's simply not ready, and that's ok. She might be ready in a month or two.

What I've heard from other parents is that the pull ups don't work as they feel more like nappies to a child. We spent a few days outside and naked which seemed to help DD to recognise the signals her body was given her. But we did spend a few weeks with what you're describing - her saying she didn't need to go and then having an accident. Sometimes it's simply that they're having too much fun or don't want to stop what they're doing. Reassuring her that you'll come back to the game, movie, etc, might help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i wouldnt push the issue. she will get it in her own time. justin wasnt completely toilet train until a few weeks ago and he is 3 and a holf. they get it when they are ready to. sometimes it just takes a little longer.
    but i wouldnt worry, she has to learn eventually, have you ever met a 20yr old who isnt toilet trained yet?
    takes time and alot of patience, but she'll be fine.
    good luck with the training, Danielle

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know how you feel. dd is 3 1/2 and i am having the same trouble you are. it has been 3wks of weeing and pooing our pants unless i sit and make her go which is hard with 2 little ones to tend to cause when i turn my back she takes off...little bugger...lol but we are getting there slowly today we only had 2 accidents. i also had my babies 8 wk check today (a few wks late i know) anyways the clinic sister said to try making her go just after she drinks then every half hour throughout rest of day and eventualy she should get the message... i dont know how much longer i can wait, its frustrating. well atleast i have ill the beginning of next year to get it done before she starts kindy, surely she will be done by the...well she better...lol

good luck
    mary

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We had this trouble. DD is 3 1/2 and has just decided to go to the toilet. We tried every tip under the sun. She knew when she wanted to go, she just didn't want to go to the toilet. She didn't care about weeing and pooing in undies either.

Now this is going to sound crazy but the only thing that did it for DD was watching the cat poo in the litter tray. She was so offended she has been pooing and weeing in the toilet ever since.