+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default PEOPLE who fear needles ONLY.....

Hi all

Just wondering if the Epi needle actually hurts...???? see the last time I got it I was in full labor and it didnt hurt cause I was BEGGING FOR IT as I was in full labor and on the end of an emergency C-setion (after 30 odd hours of labor) .... I was more concerned about when the next contraction was going to arrive

so seriously does it hurt ???

sounds like a dunb a*s question right???

BUT I STICK BY IT
    Last edited by drewid; 13-01-2006 at 06:26. Reason: Inappropriate language

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was terrified of getting an epidural. To me it felt like someone punched me in the back really hard. Its the only way of describing it for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got a local anaesthetic into the epidural site first, and yes that hurt the same as any needle. The only good thing is that you can't see it going in, which for me always helps. After that I couldn't feel the epidural going in.

I did a fair bit of yoga and meditation during my pregnancy and so when I was sitting waiting for the needle I practiced my meditation techiques to help keep myself calm. Basically I focussed solely on my breathing and heartrate and found it helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I HATE needles and honestly....it's not so bad. But saying that everytime I felt the prick of the needle, I would jump away, it happened about 5 times! The anethetist was getting a bit p**sed at me!
    Last edited by tickle; 13-01-2006 at 08:22. Reason: Language

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a HUGE fear of needles! I had a spinal tap done years ago and it was a new doc who took 8 attempts to get the needle in and there was blood everywhere! So I did not want an epidural unless I absolutely had to...I had one, it took 5 attempts to get the needle in (apparently due to the shape of my spine?!?) and i cried throughout...however for the next babe I am having one straight away......I figured that it is better for someone so scared of needles to have the pain then rather than when being stitched up...can't think of a worse place to stick a needle, except perhaps in my eye!!!

Seriously though it did help to breathe through the pain and to focus on the end product!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Before I was pregnant, I had a huge fear of needles (Id almost have a panick attack just thinking about them)...but boy did that change as I had so many while pregnant, as Im Rh neg. I had my blood taken three time, had three anti-d shots, a shot of peth, a shot of morphine (after birth), a IV, two locals and a spinal. So I dont care about needles anymore.

I have to say that i didnt find the spinal (epi) painfull at all. But I had been in labour so long I couldnt wait for it to work!!! Thats all I was thinking about!!!
    I found the IV to be the worst of all the needles Ive had, and they gave me a local to put it in. I had a dodgy guy though!!!

I love the numbing feeling from the spinal though, it was crazy trying to move your legs and you cant.

E

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    everyone's experience with epis is SOOOO different!!!

I had a FANTASTIC guy do mine- I barely felt the local needle and didn't feel a THING with the epi ... I would definately ask for one next time

yet my friend said that hers really hurt??? and she had pains down one side?? which I also did NOT have??? go figure? ...

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    as veve said it seems that everyone's experience is different. I wasn't in labour when I got mine, so I had no pain to keep me preoccupied. I was a very worried about the needle, but didn't feel a thing. The guy that I had was fantastic!!!! Will definitely be booking him when I have my next bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was absolutely petrified!!! I was given a local first which didn't hurt any more than a prick (really!) and after that I could just feel pressure on my back, no pain at all! I was more worried about bending over the right way and not moving for fear of being paralysed!

Mummabear is offline Gone.....and no doubt already forgotten
    Thanks
    Reviews
    **Sorry, I'll delete my post - I just read your title properly and I don't fear needles** Plus my story was bad. Keep the good stuff rolling girls.....