+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Arrow Best Budget Recipes

I thought this thread might come in handy to a few bubhubbers who, like me, are on a limited income & who often need to stretch out every cent to make the most of it.

Please post here all your favourite budget-stretching recipes!

Also, if you can, try to include things such as how many servings it makes, cost per serve etc. (A good guess is fine!)

I'll be visiting this thread frequently to get some new & exciting dinner ideas - I hope you all will too!

(Coming back to post my fave recipe.....)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mexican Beef & Bean Casserole

What you'll need:

A large casserole dish with a lid
    500g beef mince
    1-2 tins of red kidney beans (drained)
    1 cup uncooked rice (medium grain rice works well in this recipe)
    1 x 800g tin (or 2 x 400g tins) diced tomatoes
    2 tbspns tomato paste
    1 bunch fresh coriander - roughly chopped
    grated cheese
    sour cream to serve

How to do it:

Preheat oven to 160 deg.

Brown the mince in a large pan, or in the casserole dish if yours can be used on the stove top.

Meanwhile, cook the rice using the absorption method. Place 1 cup of rice & 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan & bring to the boil. Boil for approx 1 minute, then turn off the hotplate, leaving the saucepan on it. Cover & leave for approx 10 mins, or until all liquid is absorbed. (Note: Medium grain rice cooked using this method & this amount of water will still be a little firm, but this is what you want, as the rice will absorb more liquid during the final stage of cooking.)

Once the mince is browned, add the tomatoes & tomato paste. Cook for another minute or two before adding the red kidney beans. Cook for another minute (constantly stirring) then add the rice. Stir in the chopped coriander.

Once this is all nicely combined, spoon it into your casserole dish & top with grated cheese. Cover & place in the oven for approx 20 mins, or until the cheese is golden brown.

Serve in bowls topped with sour cream.

How good is its value for money?

Serves 6-8 (great for big serves or left overs)
    Costs approx $1.50 per serve (depending on the grade of mince used. Budget mince is fine for this recipe as the fat gives it a nice rich flavour, although if you are wanting a very healthy dish, premium mince is good too)

ETA: I just popped in to add that I have been making this one recently with corn chips, crumbled over the top of the mince, before you add the cheese. It just gives it a little something extra & it is YUMMY!! (Kids love it too!)
    Last edited by MrsMiggins; 16-06-2008 at 13:21.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMiggins For This Useful Post:

thinkingaboutit (02-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heres mine:

Mac & Cheesy beans

Cook up some macaroni,

throw in a can or 2 of baked beans (depending on how much mac)

throw in and mix a cup and a half of grated cheese per can of baked beans...

serves as little or as many as you like, reallllly easy, realllly fast, realllly cheap and reallly yummy!

cos is prob about $5 for a full meal (using a whole bag mac, 2 cans baked beans and 3 cups cheese) and that would serve heappppps of people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Potato Noodles

1 packet of pasta
    1 onion chopped
    1 handful of diced bacon
    2-3 potatos

Cook pasta as normal and drain.

Dice potatos and put in microwave for about 2-3mins to soften.

Fry onion, bacon and potatoes in a frying pan until starting to brown. Then throw in pasta and continue to fry for about 5 mins.

This sounds so boring but it is so tasty and my kids eat it everytime I serve it. For something different I soemtimes substitute cabbage for potatoes.

This meal would only cost $5 at the most and is very filling as it is full of carbs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2my4 For This Useful Post:

Fairy82 (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This used to be one of my most favourite budget type meals, but with the price of chicken skyrocketing these days it's not so cheap anymore but I'll tell you about it anyway.

Chicken, noodle & vegetable stir fry

Ingredients:

400g diced chicken thigh fillets
    4tblspns crunchy peanut butter
    2tblspns soy sauce
    2tblspns oyster sauce
    1/3 cup water
    2-3 cups of diced brocolli, cauliflower, red capsicum (and any other vegies you like)
    Cook 2 packets of chicken noodles, as per directions. Set aside.

Brown the chicken. Mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, oyster sauce & water together. Add the vegies and the sauces and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the noodles, stir fry for further 3-4 mins. Voila! Pretty simple, and really yummy

Costs about $10.00 to make, and serves 4
    Last edited by EmsMum72; 29-05-2007 at 14:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pork & Pineapple Stir-fry

What you'll need:

300-500g diced lean pork
    1 tin of diced pineapple in juice, drained - juice reserved
    1 cup cornflour
    1 tbspn chinese five spice
    1 bunch baby bok choy
    1 cup oil (such as vegetable, canola or peanut oil)
    soy sauce
    chilli (optional)
    jasmine rice

How to do it:

Mix the chinese five spice & cornflour in a bowl or a plastic bag. Lightly coat the pork by tossing it in the bowl or shaking it in the bag.

Heat the oil in a wok until very hot. Brown the pork & drain on paper towels. Drain the remaining oil.

Return the pork to the wok and add the drained pineapple, stirring so that it does not stick too much. If using chilli (dried or fresh), add it now.

Add the baby bok choy leaves & pour the pineapple juice & soy sauce over the top. Give it all a good stir, then place a lid on the wok for a few minutes until the bok choy has softened.

Serve over steamed jasmine rice.

How good is its value for money?

Serves 2-4 (we have large serves & it makes plenty for DH, myself & DD)

Costs approx $2-3 per serve

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2my4 View Post
    Potato Noodles

1 packet of pasta
    1 onion chopped
    1 handful of diced bacon
    2-3 potatos

Cook pasta as normal and drain.

Dice potatos and put in microwave for about 2-3mins to soften.

Fry onion, bacon and potatoes in a frying pan until starting to brown. Then throw in pasta and continue to fry for about 5 mins.

This sounds so boring but it is so tasty and my kids eat it everytime I serve it. For something different I soemtimes substitute cabbage for potatoes.

This meal would only cost $5 at the most and is very filling as it is full of carbs.

I made this for tea just now and i must say its very nice DS ate all of his and came back for more which is unusual for him lately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This one has probably been done heaps before, but I will post it anyway.

Tuna Pasta

1 large tin tuna (Sirena in oil is my fave)
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
    chilli (optional)
    Pitted kalamata olives
    Capers (to taste, I use about 1 tblspn)
    1 Jar Nap sauce (Dolmio etc)
    Tomato paste
    Pasta of your choice

Method

Brown onion and garlic, add chilli and fry for 1-2 mins, add tuna, olives and capers, stir til warmed through. Add nap sauce and tomato paste and simmer for about 15 mins (remember to keep stirring!).

I like this with fettacinni (sp) or linguini, but have done it with many different pastas

Optional extras- parmesan cheese and parsely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Tuna Pasta Bake Thingo

1 onion chopped

1 large tin of tuna in brine

1 tin cream of mushroom soup

1 small tin of champignons

1 1/2 ish cups of frozen peas and corn

A good bit of grated tasty cheese.

200 ish g of cooked pasta - big shells are good (al dente)

I tend to fry the onion a bit to soften it but you don't have to. Basically chuck all ingredients into an casserole dish and mix well, make sure the pasta is coated.

Top with some more grated cheese and bake in a moderate oven for 20-30 mins.

ETA makes four big serves.

Mariposa is offline Winner 2008 - most helpful moderator/administrator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    great thread!!!

i have quite a few quick and easy and cheap ones also.

tuna bake

1 onion chopped
    2 cans of tuna (sirena one also)
    1 red capsicum
    1 green capsicum
    2 cans of crushed tomato
    2/3 sheets of puff pastry.
    milk to baste.

cook onion and capsicums ( i use some of the oil from the cans of tuna), once they are half cooked, add in the cans of tuna, add tins of tomato (also half a can of water) simmer for about 20mins.

let it cool down before placing it on pastry. I normally use a cassarole (pyrex) dish, place 1 layer down, once cooled add the above, pastry on top, fold edges, i put little fork holes all on top, then baste with milk. cook in oven until golden brown.

this can be eaten by itself, or served with a tossed salad of your liking.

OR if you prefer not to use the puff pastry, cook ingredients as above, and serve with rice. tastes great!

it feeds our family of 5. and there is normally some left over

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariposa For This Useful Post:

sunseeker (28-02-2013)