+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone used the Epi-No?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used the Epi No device that is used 3 weeks before your due date to stretch the perenium and excercise the pelvic floor?

If so, has it been successful for you in avoiding tearing/episiotomy and do you think it is worth the money ( $180). Has it also helped with pushing the baby out?

Alternative option is to massage the perenium by hand.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,
    I used it (bought it cheaper from ebay from a woman who went into labour early and never used it -worth looking there to see if you can get it cheaper) but I must say I was pretty lazy and only used it 3 times and then couldn't be bothered. In the end I ended up having a caesarean anyway after only getting to 1cm dilated after 17 hours of induced labour and my sons head not engaging so I'm glad I didn't waste too much time using it. I found it pretty uncomfortable to use but I think the concept is good and I don't think it can hurt trying to prepare the area for the upcoming onslaught.Obviously if I could go back in time I wouldn't spend the money again (my future pregnancies are most likely to now also be caesareans so I pretty much wasted my money but I thought it was a good idea at the time). Hopefully there is someone else who used it more than I did and got to test whether it helped in pushing the baby out (never had to do that and I am honestly quite happy about that seeing as my son had a big boofy head - I think I would have had a heap of stitches which I was dreading). Good luck with everything.

Cath

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used it and was pretty lazy too towards the very end, but think it gave me confidence more than anything else.

It claims to make pushing quicker and mine was fairly swift at 45mins (for a first timer I am told that is quicker than average) and I had a very very small tear.

I have no idea what would have happened if I hadn't have used it of course, but as I said, I knew I could push and I knew what things would feel like, so wasn't scared or worried during my labour. In turn that probably meant that I was able to do it drug free as I was very relaxed.

Its pricey but personally it was money well spent.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used my epi-no religiously up to wen I went into labour. unfortunately I wound up having a caesar so it was irrelevant. I mentioned this to the mid-wife the next day and she said that the women she had seen who had used an epi-no generally had no tearing or any damage and that in her opinion they we worth the money. they can also be used post-natally to assist with pelvic floor strengthening. when I get pregnant next time I will use it again (it can be used for two pregnancies).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bec re Epi-No

I used the Epi-No with my third pregnancy.

First pregnancy I didn't do any perineal massage.......ended up having episiotomy when baby turned and they couldn't get a heartbeat. Had been pushing for about 1 hour.

Second pregnancy I did the perineal massage manually, and tore almost full length of the epi scar. Pushing about 1/2 hour.

Third pregnancy I used the Epi-No once a day from 36 weeks (I expeceted to deliver at 38 weeks as my first two were a little early). Pushed for 8 minutes....5 contractions and the tiniest tear( the doc couldn't decide whether to stitch it or not it was that small) later he was out....it was so easy.

I would never birth again without using the Epi-no.

Goodluck when your time comes.