+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hair dyeing whilst pregnant

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone know if it safe to dye your hair when pregnant? I've been told many different things about this and was just wondering if anyone knows for sure?

I've got an appointment at the hairdressers tonight and am a bit concerned. Normally I get some blonde foils and get my regrowth done. Is this ok to do? I'm nearly 12wks at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Lou,

I checked this with my Obs last week and he said it is absolutely fine, also particularly if you are having foils, less dye comes into contact with your skin. I have heard to stay away from Perms (as if!!) because not only are the fumes strong and that the solution is more in contat with your skin, but also hair can apparently react unpredictaby while pregnant due to hormones.
    Last week, I had a few brown foils in my hair - probably about 12 foils, that was apparently ok
    Hope this helps! I f you are still in doubt, check with your obs, or just ring a random obs room, they will help, and wont bother to check if you are a patient of theirs - the receptionist I speak to never checks this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

There is more than likely some scientific evidence saying you shouldn't dye your hair whilst pregnant, but I did and my bub is fine. There is also probably some scientific evidence saying you shouldn't poke out your tongue when pregnant too! Sorry - not trying to make light of it, but it's your choice - make the decision and be happy with it...

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had blonde foils while I was pregnant.

All was fine.

There was no way I was going to go 9mths without having them. I had also asked the doc about it and he said go ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is absolutely fine!!

I got my hair done every 6-8 weeks whilst pregnant and had no problems at all. Sometimes only foils and other times full head. Not enough goes into the blood stream to actually do any damage.

Good luck with your pregnancy BTW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Im a hairdresser and there is NO harm in getting foils because no chemicals come into contact with the skin although you may be more sensative to the smell.

One of the other things is the hair colour can react to the hair like not getting the colour the same as you had last time, they might mix the same colour up but it might come out differently.

Dont do perms, as if you would anyway, a hairdresser should know not to do it anyway as its a very harmful chemical!

saying all that
    I have done many PG womens hair and they have ALL turned out fine I really wouldnt worry!

maybe just take a plastic bag if you find your still gagging!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone! It's eased my mind alot.

I'm just abit upset that I can't get my perm done (only joking!! ) As if I would!!

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I asked my midwife and she said she wouldnt recommend it...but there was no evidence to say for sure you shouldnt get it done. So I erred on the side of caution and didnt get my hair done.

My GP said there isnt any proof but its best to stay away from chemical fumes when pregnant.....

My friend who is very careful due to having had 2 M/C asked her ob and he said that foils are fine after 20 weeks.....

I guess it depends who you ask and what their opinon is....there doesnt seem to me any evidence that it causes problems....but I guess personally I would be inclined to wait until after 20 weeks. The Ob said that it was okay after that because the baby had pretty much finished developing its lift systems and the chemical exposure (if any) would have less of an impact.

Good luck and I'm sure you will look beautiful and glowing...foils or not. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat&Tiny
    My GP said there isnt any proof but its best to stay away from chemical fumes when pregnant.....

I guess it depends who you ask and what their opinon is....there doesnt seem to me any evidence that it causes problems....but I guess personally I would be inclined to wait until after 20 weeks. The Ob said that it was okay after that because the baby had pretty much finished developing its lift systems and the chemical exposure (if any) would have less of an impact.

on that note I have been doin part time hairdressing and the fumes havent done anything to me, Im still PG!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys,

I went to the hairdresser about 5 weeks ago and had my hair done ... 1st time during the whole pregnancy I am now 35 weeks.. they wouldnt do a permanent colour just a rinse... which I was happy with .. they say there hasnt been enough testing to prove it is harmful... there is the possibility there so I wouldnt do it ( a permanent colour that is) ... but hey that's just me .. I am sure it will be fine though.

I have also read you shouldnt have acrylic nails on whilst pregnant cause the acrylic gets into you and is quite toxic... which you can probably gather fromt he smell of it.... I am a qualified beautician and we didnt get trained that in college....

But hey walking out on a major road is also a risk these days ... I think you have go with what you think is right cause sometimes we tend to be over cautious...

Di..xxx