+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I be concerned?

Hi all,

This is my first pregnancy and I'm booked into the Freemasons in Melbourne. My OB is also based there. My query is, I'm now 27 weeks and just feel like there is a void of information - I see my OB every 5-6 weeks, have had 2 scans but haven't been told anything about delivery options etc. I feel I have to do all the ground work and make sure I go in with a list of questions because otherwise he just measures and weighs me and I'm out in a couple of minutes. I don't have a problem with researching everything myself but I just would have thought I would be given more information packs or something!

In stark contrast is my friend who is going public with the Royal Women's and has been given a vast amount of information so far (she is 28 weeks) and just recently had a glucose test. I haven't been told about this test by my OB.

I'm booked in for a prenatal class at the Freemasons but they couldn't fit me in until March 25. I'm due April 12. I think I may try to do an outside class before this just so I feel more informed.

I keep hearing wonderful things about Freemasons so is there more I should be doing or is this normal?

thanks!

Lilly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know nothing about your hospital but it does sound weird!!

I am like your friend I am going to the royal womens but in sydney they are so informative and give you the time of day all the time...can you change?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That does sound weird ... I am in Perth so dont know anything about your hospital... but I am now 35 weeks and at about 27 weeks was being seen every 3 weeks ... in the early stages of pregnancy it was 4 weeks in between ... I would ask them why you arent being informed of tests etc etc .. the Glucose test is normally done at 28 weeks.

But I have only had 2 ultrasounds (big ones) but the doc does one in his office every time I see him.

That ante-natal classes sound like they are going to be done very late as well... i would check with another hospital if you can join in on theres sooner as I know over here in WA you can do that... you want to do them sooner rather than later otherwise you may miss out if bubs comes early...

Hope all goes well
    Di..xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default should i be concerned

hi lilly

I went to freemasons with my little boy josh just over 12 months ago, it is a great hospital and the midwife who helped with my delivery was great really nice and kind so i wouldnt be concerned about that side of it at all. my husband and i want to a day class at the hospital about 2 months before josh was due, we found this very informative and the midwife who ran it was great, although i can understand why you might want to have information earlier that what you are getting it.

I received some pamphlets and information from my obstetrician, but much the same as you the appointments were very quick and didnt seem very personal. it sometimes made me wonder why i paid the extra to go private rather than public.
    I found it was really up to me to ask all the questions rather than her offer it to me.

Just one thing i found about freemasons was that not all the midwifes seemed to be on the same wavelength and i was offered different information as to what to do with feeding and so forth with josh, pretty much every time a shift changed so this was a bit confusing being a first time mum.

if you have any more question just let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Private hospitals usually are only concerned about providing a room for you to have you baby in and providing after care. The Ob should be stearing you towards some kind of Birth preparation ie Active Birth Classes. They will cost you, but your health fund should give you some kind of rebate. Have you thought about asking JanetF to recommend some classes I am pretty sure she is in Melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Howdy

I don't know anything about your hospital, but my OBGYN was seeing me every 2 weeks by 27 weeks. Her appointments were like yours very quick, unless I had questions. She didin't wiegh me at all during the preancy, but did check bubs position and lenght, heart beat and my blood pressure at each appointment.

I had the glucose test around 24 weeks, and it was my OBGYN that sent me for this. Ask your docotor about it, at either your next appointment or ring and ask about it.

We only had the 2 scheduled scans at 13 weeks and 20 weeks to check that everything was fine, and the found out the the sex a tthe 20 week scan.

My understanding was that all these test that have been mentioned were routine. We had to do our anetnal classes between 27 weeks and no later that 34 weeks, so I am assuming yours are very late. See if you can book in somewhere else if you are really concerned about it.

Hope this has helped

Belinda