Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circumcision

Any thoughts on circumcision. We are expecting a boy and are considering it given all the males in both sides of the family are done and have also heard lots of stories about infections in non-circumcised bubs. I know this can be a very touchy subject and that not many people in Brisbane do it anymore, but any thoughts would be grateful. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Caitlins mum,
    We considered having our son circumcised, but decided against it for a number of reasons. Our son has never had any problems.

My nephew was never circumcised, but as a baby (under 12mths old) had a few urinary tract infections. The doctor said that if he had one more, I forget how many he had, then he would have to be done. He turns 6 this year and has had no further probs.

My dad had to be circumcised as a 4yr old so there has been a few problems in my family, but my son has not had any at all

Is there a history of problems in your families? Is that the reason all the males were circumcised, or was it just done because everyone else was?

I know that when my son was born, Dr Terry Russell, he was on Kessels Rd, Mt Gravatt, did do circumcisions, but I'm not sure if he's still there, he'll be in the phone book if he is. I took my son to him to have his tongue tie corrected and he was wonderful

Anyway, hope that has been some sort of help to you, maybe you could call the doctor and have some info sent to you, I know that alot of gp's aren't very keen to talk about this sort of thing anymore. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Find out all the facts first

My son was circumcised when he was four weeks old.

When he was born he developed a urinary infection, which is supposed to be rare among boys. This was one reason why we decided to have our son circumcised.
    Here's a few things you can avoid by having your son circumcised; recurrent urinary tract infections, thrush (yes uncircumcised males can get thrush), impotence due to chronic thrush and or overtight foreskin. There were a few other things the doctor mentioned but they were the main things.
    The procedure they use nowadays which involves a plastic bell minimises blood loss and highly reduces previous risk factors.

The procedure is best performed before 6 weeks of age. Any later and you'll have to see a surgeon to have the foreskin removed.

The hospital where my son was born wouldn't even tell me who performed the procedure. They (the midwives) were so dead against it. But my Aunty who is an enrolled nurse said I'm mad if I didn't get it done. She spent I lot of time with the armed forces and saw first hand the trouble men had with thrush and UTIs. She said the pain that grown men had to go through to be circumcised later in life due to problems was a lot worse.

My advice is to seek out all the facts. Find a doctor that carries out the procedure in your area and make an apointment to talk to him first. You can even do this before your son is born.

Yes my son was upset when he had it done, but he was quickly soothed by a feed. (they can't drink for 1-2hours before hand). He wasn't tender and still slept well (for a four week old) and within 1 1/2 weeks you wouldn't even know it had been done.
    Obviously, I think it is very benificial. Like everything but - your son may never be affected by any of the above problems or then again he may be.

I just urge you to go and speak to a doctor who performs the procedure and find out as much as you can about the pros and cons before you decide.

Best of luck deciding,

Tracey
    ( Mum to Alec 17 months and Bub due May 2nd)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is another very extensive thread that covers this issue in great detail - both for and against - try looking that one up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default circumcision thread

The thread Willsmum is talking about is in the Brisbane section.

Thanks
    Reviews

Question Some of the pros

Hi Caitlin's Mum,
    Everyone has an opinion about this topic, personally I am for circumcision at an early age in boys. However I believe this is a very personal decision that you and your partner should make together. Be informed about the proceedure, you may like to listen to other peoples opinions and experiences but in the end it should be a decision that you are both happy with.
    I am a nurse and have seen some men (of old age) go through pretty horendous proceedures due to not having been circumcised, also I have seen some pretty gross things when it comes to uncircumcised penises, and I have looked after teenagers and young men in hospital undergoing circumcision at that age (something which is very embarrassing for them). These are the reasons I believe it is for the best to be done early, when no lasting emotional damage is endured. After seeing the procedure done, it seems that the baby protests more about being stripped down and restrained than about the actual precedure. My sister-in-law had a boy late last year and got him circumcised. She was distressed by hearing her baby upset (she was not allowed to be with him throughout the procedure) but she kept saying in the days and weeks afterwards how he was not upset or in pain due to the procedure and how well and quickly it healed. Each child is individual and some may react differently. With the latest method of circumcision I am told there are less complications from bleeding and infection and therefore makes the procedure safer than before, but that is something you could find out through a reputable doctor who performs circumcisions regularly. If you think you may do, this talk to other people in your area who have had their son circumcised because it is extremely important to find a good doctor. Find out if they were happy with the doctor, the method used, the end result and whether there were any complications etc.
    I think a lot of times the guys have more of a right to decide because they have more of a personal experience with it than us, but it won't stop me from having my say when and if we ever have a boy. The procedure may not be necessary or popular anymore, and not all uncircumcised boys or men have problems, but there is a small chance your son will still have to be circumcised at some time in his life. You have to look at the pros and cons of having it done or not and make an informed decision with your partner. Many people are against it now and make you feel guilty even thinking about having it done but don't let these people put you off finding out about it and making your own judgement on it.

mce

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circumcision

Hi Caitlins Mum I have been going through the same question with myself. I am due in May and found out that I am having a boy. I have heard from so many people with conflicting advice so I decided to do some research for myself to see what I wanted to do. I came across this website (I have pasted the link below if you want to check it out) and the picture I saw of this poor baby looking like he was in so much pain made my mind up right there and then.

http://www.cirp.org/library/procedure/plastibell/

My thoughts on circumcision now are "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I will leave my son in tact as nature intended and if any problems should arise in the future we will deal with them when and if they happen.

Good luck with your decision and don't forget to research, research and research.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whether to snip

Hi there,

Just thought that I would put my thoughts here. I have a boy Charlie (12months), and we circumcised him when he was 3 days old in the hospital. Everyone in the hospital wasn't for it, but we decided to to it anyway. the midwife told me that 20 % city people circumcise, and 50% country do it. We are from a country town, so i guess we fit into that. The procedure was done in 5 minutes, he cried a little, when he came back into my room at hospital, he was already ASLEEP!! the ring took 10 days to come off, and he was fine, no probs, didn't hurt, rub or anything.

I am personally glad we got it done, but it was a hard choice. On the other hand, my sister's boy isn't done, and that's what they chose, so each to their own!!

Good luck with it all

Jennifer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jennifer. Which hospital did you go to?

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile my hospital

Hey there Caitlins mum,

I had Charlie in Adelaide and the Burnside War Memorial Hospital. I had a pedeatric surgeon come in to do it, as they are the only ones allowed,( or so i was told) His name was Dr Kirby.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast