+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 'Breastfeeding-friendly' workplaces needed

'Breastfeeding-friendly' workplaces needed

By Jane Bunce
    May 07, 2007 05:04pm

MOTHERS are forced to wean their babies off breast milk too early because workplaces are not "breastfeeding-friendly", a public inquiry was told today.
    Federal guidelines recommend that infants be fed only breast milk until they are six months old, but national figures show only about 32 per cent are exclusively breastfed.
    Women's Electoral Lobby representative Natasha Pollock said women were not breastfeeding or were weaning early because their workplaces did not provide privacy, they struggled to find child care close to work or bosses believed having infants at work lowered productivity.
    The lobby group called on the Government to provide universal paid maternity leave and make sure employers provided feeding-friendly workplaces.
    Most mothers intended to breastfeed their babies, but the rate fell dramatically once they left hospital after giving birth, it said.
    Inquiry chair Alex Somlyay said the hearings were trying to establish what could be done to increase breastfeeding rates so Australian children received the best possible start to life.
    Children who are not breastfed are at a higher risk of developing eczema, diabetes, gastroenteritis and lymphatic cancer.
    Ms Pollock said allowing women to breastfeed at work improved retention of skilled female workers and reduced absenteeism, as breastfed babies were sick less frequently and recovered faster.
    Studies had shown that every $1 invested in breastfeeding support returned $3. "There is a sound business case for employers to support breastfeeding women," Ms Pollock told the inquiry.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...99-662,00.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    to be honest i dont know if i could feed while at work ! im going to have hard enough time in parents rooms

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love love love to be able to take bubs to work and feed. I would have no problem wandering around with him in a sling and popping off to a conference room whenever he was hungry. I would be back at work today if I was able to do that!

I would also love to have an onsite childcare facility so that as he grew and became more mobile I would still be able to take time out to feed him.

That is working mum utopia as far as I'm concerned and I'm still shocked that as 50% of the population and the only ones capable of birthing and nursing our children that it doesn't happen. I find it incredible that "we" as women haven't pushed for these sorts of changes rather than thinking (as many do) that you can only have one or the other (a career or a child).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the very least, a private comfortable room to express and store breastmilk should be provided. Do many firms provide these?