+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Pre-eclampsia newsletter article

We have an article on pre-eclampsia here
    Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 10:32. Reason: Link Update

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is a great article Hilary. I just wish I had of read something like that in my first pregnancy as I had no idea what the symptoms of PE were or how potentially serious it can be. Good that this type of information is getting out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'll make this a sticky. This is a quote from our
    Pregnancy Complications page:

Pre-eclampsia

Pre-eclampsia is a serious pregnancy condition that can affect both the mother and foetus. Pre eclampsia can develop at any time in the second half of the pregnancy, although it is more usual for it to occur in the last few weeks. Symptoms include the following, which are usually detected during routine tests carried out at your ante-natal visits:
    • rising blood pressure
    • protein in the urine
    • swelling of the hands, feet and face
    The unborn baby may grow more slowly than normal or suffer potentially dangerous oxygen deficiency.

Women with pre eclampsia may still feel perfectly well, however, pre-eclampsia can develop very quickly and if you experience any of these symptoms you should notify your healthcare provider immediately. Other symptoms may include upper abdominal pain and vomiting, severe headache and visual disturbances. These symptoms can indicate the disease has reached an advanced stage (also see HELLP).

Occurence of pre-eclampsia may result in your baby having to be born before the planned due date. The condition usually disappears once the baby is born, although the new mum's blood pressure may take a little longer to return to normal and you should expect to be monitored by your healthcare provider.

Australian Action on Pre-eclampsia website
    ph: (03) 9330 0441
    Voluntary organisation providing support and information for women suffering from Pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome.
    If you suffered from PE, add your symptoms to this thread to help others spot the signs early on.
    Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 10:33. Reason: Link Update

Thanks
    Reviews

Default very good artical

just wanted to say what a great artical. Very easy to read and understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, what a great article. I just wanted to add one thing: sometimes PE doesn't have any symptoms. Mine was only picked up through routine blood pressure testing and a subsequent urine test. My kidney function was terrible but I had no symptoms. I get very worried when pregnant women decide not to have routine testing because of the potentially devastating consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to add that if you have HELLP a lowered platelet count is a big indicator, this is something your GP should be able to have checked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hello mums,

i had PE signs at 26 weeks and no one picked it up from the hospital at my 29 week check up when my blood pressure was 160/100. At 30 weeks i went to an after hours doctors because i had slight swelling and ichyness around my hands and feet. the doctors took my blood pressue and urine (with protine in it) all indecators of PE. i was sent back to hospital and had my daughter at 31 weeks on the day, she was 2pd 11oz and was in NICU for 8 weeks.
    PE is serious, and stress to all women pregnant the importance of a good doctor and regular check ups!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had undiagnosed PE......it didn't end happily

I was having shared care with fortnightly GP and infrequent OB visits (1st Preg - didn't know any better) at 29 wks had an extra scan to check I was no longer placenta previa, and cranky sonographer told me my boy was small. 30wk appt with GP, I asked about him being potentially small, was told (after only measuring fundal height) that bubs are the right size for their mums and because I'm slim it will be fine, stop worrying. I had seen spots in my vision and lost a kilo in a week, this was also brushed off by my health care provider. She also failed to take any notice of my steadily rising BP. I assumed I was being paranoid and tried to calm down. A week later at just over 31wks my son stopped moving inside me, the next day I was induced and gave birth to my sleeping perfect son. Reason given: severe PE, with no protein signs, no swelling, mild headaches only.

But we truly believe that if we had of had the right medical care, our son would be here with us now. So yes PE can be fatal, but often that can be avoided with good medical care. And always trust your 'mothers instinct', push for more testing if you are worried. The symptoms are not always obvious.
    I have suffered hypertension issues since (6mths).