View Poll Results: What age would you let child make circ decision?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never, would talk them out of it even as an adult

5 8.06%
  • They have to wait till over 18

29 46.77%
  • They have to wait till over 16

14 22.58%
  • They have to wait till over 12

5 8.06%
  • They would have to be over age of 3

0 0%
  • I'm of the camp that thinks it is the parents decision

9 14.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son was done at 10 months as part of his hypospadias repair. If he hadn't been done he would have been peeing hitting the wall or himself...ie it wouldn't have gone straight iykwim.

It would have also caused him possible fertility problems later in life too.

So, how can people that say they wouldn't even get it done for medical reasons be so 100% about their decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Based on this comment..
    I would allow him to get it done asap...
    To not allow it and leave him struggling and in pain due to medical reasons and through no fault of his own is cruel IMHO..

For "looks" he can make that choice when he is 16+
    yep i agree also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer80 View Post
    We plan to do so before leaving the hospital when we have our son.

But if a child isn't done at birth and wants it done for resson other than medical later in life, I belive it should be their decisson to make after the age of 18.
    sorry but i dont get this one ???

so you will make the choice for your son at birth,
    but if he came to you at say 16 and said he wanted it done you would say no.
    so your for it if you make the choice, but against it if it is his untill you have no controll over it

anyway.

if i was not going to get my son done i would base the decision on him as an individual person, as in how mature he was and how much i trust him to make a decision like that, so it could be 15, 16 or 17. after 18 i would realy have no say anyway so i would rather just support him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by becca74 View Post
    I'm just curious about the ear-piercing issue, since it does cause pain, and the associated risks are infection, tetanus, scarring, bleeding and allergic reaction.....and with small children there is a choking hazard, if they remove them themselves and put them in their mouth...

Although not deemed as severe as circ, these are still risks you are opening your children up to....just curious....not judging.... (after all, I am a cup-half-full kinda gal )

My girls are peircing free, it will be THEIR choice when they are old enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGanoush View Post
    So, how can people that say they wouldn't even get it done for medical reasons be so 100% about their decision?
    The thought of a scalpel near my child's genitals is enough for me to say NEVER EVER.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flick83 View Post
    if i was not going to get my son done i would base the decision on him as an individual person, as in how mature he was and how much i trust him to make a decision like that, so it could be 15, 16 or 17. after 18 i would realy have no say anyway so i would rather just support him.
    yeah, thats how i feel too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flick83 View Post
    sorry but i dont get this one ???

so you will make the choice for your son at birth,
    but if he came to you at say 16 and said he wanted it done you would say no.
    so your for it if you make the choice, but against it if it is his untill you have no controll over it
    Yes we are making the decision at birth. If we didn't we would leave it up to him if later in life he did wish to be circumcised, and as it is a large decision to be made and something that cant be reversed we would want him to be an adult, take full reasonability for that decision and have full understanding of the decision he would be making. I would however do it at any age if it were for a medical reason or if he had a severe problem with not being circumcised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting. To agree that it is a big decision that someone needs to be in full control about and an adult, yet a decision you would...

oh, never mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shed View Post
    Interesting. To agree that it is a big decision that someone needs to be in full control about and an adult, yet a decision you would...

oh, never mind.

I know , I know.

I am also very confused to the thinking behind this.

It is ok for YOU to make the decision at BIRTH but if not at birth you would wait??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So tactful Shed - you've saved me the bother

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast