Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yum!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made my very first meal in the slow cooker for dinner yesterday!!! mmmm.,...so easy, very delish and lots of leftovers for lunch today!! Plus I didnt have to lift a finger at dinner time... how easy is that, and why have i not thought about getting one before!!!

loving the recipies thread!! got heaps of ideas from it...

em
    xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks a million

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone. What an awesome thread. I love my new slow cooker and have been turned off cooking since I got pregnant. But my slow cooker has changed that, as there is not fussing and not as many dishes. More time to spend with Bub and Hubby So again all you gals thanks a million

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread ladies! Has inspired to try my slow cooker again...

I got it as a wedding present almost 4 yrs ago and have used it a few times, but every time I use it, the meat is COMPLETELY overcooked, dry and hard!! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, it seems as though there is not enough liquid in to start with. I even tried the McCormack packet mix and it was still terrible...

Can anyone please help me?? I would love to be able to put it on of a morning and come home at night to a lovely cooked dinner. I just get frustrated because I have to throw it out & it's a waste of money, not to mention I then have to find something else for dinner

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsahugs View Post
    Great thread ladies! Has inspired to try my slow cooker again...

I got it as a wedding present almost 4 yrs ago and have used it a few times, but every time I use it, the meat is COMPLETELY overcooked, dry and hard!! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, it seems as though there is not enough liquid in to start with. I even tried the McCormack packet mix and it was still terrible...

Can anyone please help me?? I would love to be able to put it on of a morning and come home at night to a lovely cooked dinner. I just get frustrated because I have to throw it out & it's a waste of money, not to mention I then have to find something else for dinner

TIA
    What cuts of meat are you using? The cheaper the cut of meat, the better. There needs to be quite a bit of fat in the meat for the slow cooker to break down and tenderize over time, so I've found I don't have much success with chicken breasts, for example.

You also shouldn't need much liquid if you've got vegies in there, otherwise it will be too watery.

Have you tried a silverside? That's pretty foolproof.

Or roast lamb? I just throw in the lamb leg with some rosemary and garlic bulbs (NO water or stock at all) put it on low and in 7 or 8 hours I have a lovely tender roast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    QUESTION
    When doing a roast what do you sit it on in the slow cooker?

I made the Roast Chicken on a bed of lemons, but the lemon was over powering,

And what about roats pork/lamb etc??

I have an oval 3.5ltr slow cooker.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually use root veg in the bottom under the roast. But sometimes I use nothing at all!

I have also heard of people using a small plate or scrunched up foil but I think that's unnecessary.

Also the best method of sucess with all day cooks is to choose cheap cuts with fat and connective tissue (gravy beef, ox tail, lamb necks, ribs, osso bucco) and leave them in fairly big chunks. Use a moist recipe like a goulash or curry so there is enough liquid.
    That's the beauty of the slow cooker. Makes delicious use of the cheapest meats!

Meats like rump or chicken breast will end up VERY dry in an all day cook. No matter what the level of liquid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great threads on Slow Cooking!
    I am making this one today.....

Originally Posted by ~Emmylou~
    Roast Chicken

You just need a chook, a pack of french onion soup mix (the generic one is fine), and 2 lemons

Pat the chook dry, rub the soup mix into the chicken all over to give it colour.
    Stick one whole unpeeled lemon in it's bum (poke some holes in the lemon with a fork to let the aroma out). This is optional - still tastes great without it we just like it.
    Cut the remaining lemon into quarters and place in bottom of SC. Place chooky on top and cook for about 6 hours on low.

I am curious to see how it goes as there is nothing really added.... just brilliant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A quick question about browning the meat/softening onions etc in all these recipes... do you have to?! I'd love to just be able to use the one pot, seems like a bit of a waste of time to brown it, then have to chuck it in and recook it, seems like it'd be easier to just cook at night, once the meat's browned, you're really just finishing off with the rest right?! Anyway, does it affect the flavour/cooking time if you just bung it all in raw?
    Can't wait to try some of the recipes cos I just bought a slow cooker yesterday! (I had a mccormacks chicken curry tonight, it was edible, but not fantastic I thought... Just a bit bland... The meat was deliciously tender though!)