+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting a 3 year old to the dentist

Has anyone any tips on getting my precocious and very stubborn 3 year to the dentist. Unfortunately our local dentist won't attempt an examination as our daughter kicks up a huge fuss on the chair, and ends up burying her head on one of her parents shouders. To be honest, the whole idea of a dentist frightens her silly.

Unfortunately we suspect some decay is appearing, so we are very keen to get her looked at. Appreciate any thoughts

Michael

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Michael,
    There is a paediatric dentist at Indooroopilly, he advertises in Brisbane child (this is available at your local public library). there is also a fairy dentist in Brisbane, unfortunately I don't remember the name but I think there was a story on Brisbane Extra, maybe you could search there web site.
    Good luck
    Tracey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default A few ideas (courtesy of our dentist)

Hi Michael

Will she sit in your lap while you sit in the chair? If she doesn't (and our 2 yo wouldn't), could the dentist just had a quick look in her mouth while you hold her. This is what we wound up doing (although we didn't really have major concerns that needed to be looked at up close).

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,
    My little girl aged 3yrs did the same thing. The dentist was going to book her into the paediactric dentist but I said no as I was told she would be given a sedative.
    I took her home and for 3 weeks I played dentist games. Sat her back in the chair got a cotton bud stick with out the cotton on it and poked at her teeth saying things like " now miss I am tapping your teeth" OH miss open wide so I can see the back ones oh yes lovely" I tried to do things that I thougth the dentist would do and said what I was doing. I also generally chatted every chance I got about how much fun it was to sit in a big chair that you can sit and lay in. How the lights looked like big space ship lights looking at you. In the end I think she may have went to the dentist to shut me up and so I would stop poking her. LOL.
    I went to a differnet dentist too. I chose a young lady and she was very gentle.
    I only mentioned the previous attempt out of hearing range of her to so I didn't trigger of a memory. This young lady was a credit to her preofession. She was fun calm, quite and very reasuring to my little girl. Not only did we get her teeth checked and she was happy with it but she did have a hole in her moler and it was filled with no trouble what so ever. I am led to believe they don't drill baby teeth. They clean them put antibiotic gel in the hole and then put a filling in it. (white temp filler it last as long as the tooth usually)
    Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Emma