+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much should a 13 week old be drinking?

My son is 13 weeks.....we continue to have feeding problems.

I am worried that we aren't getting enough into him. The formula can says he should be drinking 700ml a day.....yesterday he only did 530ml.....today doesn't look like he's going to do much more than 600ml. Is this ok?

Mrs Little & Son.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    hey

the stuff on the back of the tin is only a guide... I asked my pediatrician if I was giving my man too much (he is a big baby - and is an absolute pig ) - he said to just watch the weight and the output of a bub... if your little guy is putting on weight steadily- is active (not lethargic) ... and is wetting plenty of nappies a day - then he is probably getting enough food - and isn't dehydrated. I know that when Jack is still hungry he isnt subtle about it!!!

Dont forget that if you are worried about dehydration that you can offer him cool boiled water between feeds...

hope this helps!!!!
    ((hugs))
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could be the weather - assuming it is hot where you are too? My 4mth DD is not drinking much today either - have been putting crushed ice on her tongue to give her something and cooling her down - she pulls a face like she doesn't like it but then she smiles - so cute!

Still watch out for dehyrdration though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As Veve says, don't stress about what the tin says. It's just a guide for an "average" baby. Since all bubs are different sizes at the same age each one is going to drink more or less than what the tin says. Also, bubs go through growth spurts and may drink a lot for a week and then seem to drop off.

There are a couple rules of thumb.
    First, bub should be having lots of wet nappies, I think 6-8 per day. It can be hard to tell how wet disposables are but if you compare a used one to a new dry one you should get an idea. If the pee is very yellow and smelly that can be a sign of dehydration.

2nd - Is bub gaining weight steadily? If so then they're getting enough.

3rd rule of thumb is by weight of bub. Most bubs need 150 to 170 ml per kg of their weight. Thats the total per day, so a 4kg bub would usually drink around 600 ml per day. It's still just a guide though, some will drink more, some a little less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I have a 12 week old bub and she drinks differently everyday. One day she'll have 900mls for the day and others she'll only drink 700mls. She weighs 5.5kg so she suppost to be drinking around 850ml's a day. Or 5 x 150mls by the back of the tin. But I really think that your bub will drink different amounts each day, its like us we dont eat the same amount of food and drink each day, so I think it depends on the day and how active they are etc.

I wouldnt worry to much as if you were breast feeding you wouldnt know how much or how many mls your bub was drinking. Babys know how much they need and they'll tell you if they need more.

Hope this helps you, its just my opinion, I know that it hard as you want to make sure they are getting enough, as I am worried about my dd at the moment as shes no drinking properly. If you need to chat PM me.

E

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons 16 weeks old and he drink as much as a 6 month old baby does. It depends on the baby as to how much the baby needs. He'll let you know if he needs more than he is having now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just wanted to say it's only a guide and in this weather a bit of water for fully formula fed bubs

Trust bub will let you know