Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone been to the Monash Birthing Centre (Melb)?

I'm planning on having bub at the Monash Birthing Centre at Clayton (used to be at Moorabbin).

I am wondering if anyone has been there, or heard reports about it. I had a look the other day, and it looks lovely.

Has anyone had difficulties going home 12 - 24 hours after delivery? That's the only part that I'm a little nervous about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about another Birthing Centre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cathy,

I am due 01/05/2005 and actually going to Monash Birth Centre. I had two visits so far and met two of their midwifes and they were both great...I felt very comfortable with them...I heard excellent comments about the Birth Centre but wouldn't know exactly what to expect. I loved their facilities that why a chose that one. As for going home after 12-24 hours I think it's the best thing to be able to bond with your child. A friend of mine had 2 children so far in a birth centre and went back home after 12 h for the first one and 9 hours for the second one. Another thing to remember, is that if you don't feel comfortable going back home after 12-24 hours, they will keep you in. They won't kick you out!!!

A bientôt

Marie-Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Marie-Jo, I also had a look around and loved it. Is this your first? I had ds at Freemasons but wasn't all that impressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cathy,

yes this is my first one and I am very anxious about giving birth naturally, without any pain relief except for the big bathtub that Monash Birth Centre has.

Good luck with everything!

Marie-Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Marie-Jo, actually they have gas and pethedine available if you really want them. It's just good to keep in the back of your head.

I think they probably only recommend them as a last resort. The big bath looks amazing.

I had never considered a water birth before, but you never know. My dh is terrified of water, so I'm sure it would be pretty challenging for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I had my DD at Monash Clayton almost a year ago. I would say the experience was a mixture of good and not so good.. I was booked in to the birth centre, and went all the way through the birth centre for my appointments, but ended up being transferred to the labour ward whilst in heavy labour. This didn’t impress me. Basically, I was induced as my amniotic fluid levels were low, and originally they said even though I was technically a transfer (as are all women who are induced) I was allowed to stay and birth in the birth centre room as originally planned. Well, as I was nearing transition it was decided I had to be moved to the labour ward-god knows why, I mean it's just around the corner. I think they just got nervous So I had to walk down the corridor-geez that must have been a sight-I was naked and although my doulas were trying to cover me up it didn’t work well. I had three contractions on the way and yelled the place down Lucky it was in the middle of the night LOL To my mind, there was no need to move me, the birth centre is around the corner from the labour ward anyway, and is just as easy to access in case of emergency. Its not just Monash that do this-any birth centre will transfer you if interventions are needed. The thing is, I didn’t need any further interventions, and could just as easily have stayed in the room where I was comfortable grrr..

Half the midwives there are lovely, the other half seem hung up on following protocols to the letter, and I got the impression many weren’t all that natural birth focused. They seem like any MW's you might find in a L&D suite.. I was told at 36 weeks that since I had gone over 100 kg I wasn’t allowed to use the bath-no one told me that in the beginning, and it upset me greatly, as I'd planned on a water birth.

I don’t want to only say negative things, because in many ways it is a lovely birth centre. The bath is amazing and it’s a nice environment. I think if you have a textbook labour then I think it’s a fabulous place to birth, however if any interventions are needed, you'll be transferred. This to me is a serious failure with the birth centre model. I'd be more likely to go somewhere like Birralee at Box Hill next time, as they are a sort of birth centre/labour suite hybrid-you can have a birth centre natural non intervention birth there, but if interventions are needed you wont get transferred physically(other than in case of a C section, obviously).

This is just my opinion, and I know other women who have had fabulous births there, as did I in a sense, although there are definitely things I’d do differently next time. I also wish I’d done hypnobirthing, as I’ve heard it helps quite significantly helping deal with the pain.

I want to say though, if you want a natural birth in a birth centre or hospital birth suite of any type, I highly recommend taking a doula with you. I had two doulas and a midwife(my own independent midwife that is) and even though I had an induction, and wasn’t allowed to use the bath, I was able to get by with only gas for pain relief. There's no way I would have been able to do that had it not been for their support.

Anyway all I’m saying is, just be aware that the outcome for having a natural birth in a birth centre, any birth centre is significantly reduced if any type of intervention is required. You will more than likely have a wonderful birth experience there, but it’s good to be prepared for all eventualities
    Last edited by Liam&Sienna'sMum; 06-01-2006 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the birth centre same as medical centre.......................I'm confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ashika - the whole hospital is called the Monash Medical Centre. The Birthing Centre is just a small part of the hospital. It is still part of the public hospital, but is run by midwives and is quite small (only a few rooms).

Birthing Centres are available for low risk pregnancies because they don't have the facilities for any 'complications'. If things don't progress well during a delivery, the patient is then transferred to the general public part and an on call OB would continue the delivery with forceps, suction or c-section. The Birthing Centre rooms are only a short walk down the hall from the general delivery part, so it's not far to go if intervention is necessary.

The midwives usually have a gentler approach, and offer more encouragement and suppport during labour than an OB would do. During the pregnancy, the patient has all their appointments with the midwives and forms a relationship with them prior to delivery - which is great. They often allow for water births (the one at Monash has a big tub) and use of natural therapies - ie aromatherapy etc. Patients usually stay between 6 - 24 hours, then go home if breastfeeding is going well. Midwives do follow up care at home.

With my first pregnancy I took the 'traditional' route, used an OB and went through as a private patient in a large hospital. However this time I'm going through the Birthing Centre and am MUCH happier. It feels like the midwives really care about ME rather than just being another patient.

Jessie McPherson is also located in the Monash Medical Centre. It is a private section where the patient (who usually has private halth cover) pays for the services of the OB and delivery suites etc, and has a nice cushy room afterwards and probably better meals. The usual stay after delivery would be 5 - 6 days.
    Last edited by wattle; 22-07-2006 at 05:08.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default mulgravemum

Quote Originally Posted by wattle View Post
    I'm planning on having bub at the Monash Birthing Centre at Clayton (used to be at Moorabbin).

I am wondering if anyone has been there, or heard reports about it. I had a look the other day, and it looks lovely.

Has anyone had difficulties going home 12 - 24 hours after delivery? That's the only part that I'm a little nervous about.
    Hi Wattle
    I had all three children at the Birthing centre while it was still located at Moorabbin. I found the birthing experience different for all three of my children but would not dream of giving birth anywhere else.
    I must admit that my children all went the full 40 weeks and each request I had for the midwives was provided without any fuss, however I also managed to work through half of my labour at home before presenting to the centre with occasional phone calls to the midwife checking my progress. I was normally 5 centimetres dilated approx.
    When going home after birth, I always made sure my Mum was at home for the first week to help with 4 hrly feeds, sleeping, washing etc. I think these days this type of help is called a doula.Valentine mulgravemum