+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Formulas for reflux and sensitive tummies.

Hiya All.

I have just recently changed my son onto Karicare-AR for his reflux. It seems to be working well....he is not so fussy when eating and doesn't choke or thrash around like he used too. He is eating more at each feed too.

However, his tummy is still making lots of noises and when i feel his tummy it is popping. I am considering changing him to the formula for sensitive tummies....is that HA?....but don't want to give up using the AR formula. He also wakes up out of his sleep (about an hr or so into it) and he is holding his tummy tight...he only goes back to sleep when i rub it.

Can i mix the two together?....just make sure i use 3 scoops as i'm making 150mls? for example, i would use 1 scoop of AR and 2 scoops of HA.

Does that make sense?

Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had the same problem therefore I used Karicare AR-HA (it has a white lid) - that should take care of reflux AND sensitive little tummy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trial Period- 2 weeks.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for your help.

My GP has reccommended i try this formula for 2 weeks. My husband wont change to the HA-AR until the 2 weeks is up...BECAUSE THE DR SAID TRY FOR 2 WEEKS!!

How can i encourage him to change his mind? I think he is nervous about trying too many formulas. I am too. Should i wait 2 weeks? Is it ok to change to yet another formula?

TA!
    Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 17 hours and only 200 mls

What a day!

My son seemed to have had enough! I fed him at 9.30pm last night, he drank about 160mls. Then i tried to feed him again at 7am....like usual...and noooooo

he screamed and screamed for an hour. Every time i tried to feed him he would pull away. He screamed so much that he went back to sleep at 8am.

We decided to wake him up at 9.30...because then it would have been 12 hours since his last feed-I was worried. He drank the whole 200mls. I thought whatever the problem was...it's now gone. Nooooooooooo

Then i tried to feed him again, as usual- 3.5 hrs later, and he refused again. I waited to see if he got hungry later....i was getting really worried. By 3pm he still didn't want any. So we took him to the dr.

He suggested that we try zantac.....he was obviously in a lot of pain...and has associated the bottle with the pain from reflux. (No wonder he has only gotten worse and worse every time i've tried feeding him). I don't think we realised how bad his reflux was. ( To make matters worse...he decided to feed in front of the dr. after i said "would you like me to show you what he does when i feed him!!".)

So i gave him his first dose of zantac with his feed tonight at 6.30. And it was ok...a few grizzles but he continued to suck...rather than pull away.

The dr. also suggested that maybe he doesn't like the formula i'm using. Apparently babies can be fussy about which formula tastes good???....REALLY?

Well the next few days are going to be trial and error. I don't know how long it will take for the zantac to come into affect....or whether or not we will need to change formula. Just glad my hubby is home on holidays to help me out.

I can't wait for a feed that requires no screaming and wont take longer than 1 hour.

Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mrs Little,

My son has reflux and is on zantac but he is breastfeed, so I cant help you with the formula stuff but as for zantac, my paediatrician told me it takes and 72 hours to see the changes... You might also have to increase the dosage as your DS gains weight (after speaking to your DR)..
    My DS is 7 months old and is still on zantac but I haven't had to increase it for about 1 month, so hopefully he is growing out of it..

I hope you see some changes in your son soon, I know what its like to have a fussy baby at feeds and its not fun...

All the best.. PM me if you need to talk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Mrs Little - Stick with it ! You need to give bubs 2 weeks to settle in properly as a new formula always makes their tummies a little off IYKWIM. This may be why bubs tummy has been "popping" as you put it because of the change so dont even think of changing again until you have given this a chance to really work as chopping & changing can only cause more harm than good as its upsetting to their tummies etc.
    Give it a chance to work & then go form there as changing formulas repeatedly is never a good thing. This may also be why bubs isnt happy atm as it is finally through his system again i repeat give it a chance otherwise maybe it doesnt agree with him.
    Good luck hopefully all will come good & there will be no need to change again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I am having trouble with Ashleigh as well. She has been very irritable and chucking up a lot. She is on zantac and she has been on three different formulas in 8 weeks. I have changed the formula's under the paedaetrician's orders. We have now got a script for medicated formula that is now in the chemist and we will pick it up tomorrow. I have been told that the medicated formula, the protein's have been broken up even smaller than the normal over the counter formula's and is given when bubs is suspected to have allergies.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(8 weeks)