+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Side effects from IVF drugs

Hi

I am just wondering whether the side effects from the ivf drugs are quite severe. I have been doing IUI's and have been using puregon rather than clomid to stimulate my ovaries as the clomid wasnt working. I was wondering whether people have experienced bad side effects from the ivf drugs and what levels of puregon patients normally take for an ivf cycle is it quite high - as I find I feel quite emotional just on the dosage of puregon I have for IUI cycles

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - wishing you all the best of luck and hope you have a precious baby bundle very soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Side effects from IVF drugs

Hi DMC

Sometimes the effects of Puregon can be severe in some women. I went through a cycle of ICSI using Puregon and ended up hyperstimulated and in hospital for a week afterwards, however I also had rotavirus on top of that and was severely dehydrated. It depends on the person and is normally given in dosages depending on body weight. In my case I can't remember the exact dosage but it was less than what they would normally have given a woman of my age and weight.
    However, despite all of this I ended up pregnant and gave birth to my son Cael who is now 9 mths old and I cannot now imagine life without him and would go through it all again. Best of luck to you and I hope you get your bundle of joy.

Tarnia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi DMC

I was on Lucrin and Menogon and didn't have too many side effects apart from very heavy and sensitive ovaries from the stims. My FS advised me to drink at least 2.5l of water a day to avoid side effect and it seemed to work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I am right in the middle of taking synarel and the injections and I can say that I have had no side effects. I drink 3L of water a day and eat plenty of protein as I was advised by the clinic.

I was expecting it too be bad and to be quite emotional but in fact I actually feel great.

I suppose people have differen't reactions though and I am only taking a 150 dose of FSH.

Kazza

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DMC: I had no real problems with the drugs I was taking (lucrin and puregon). I was like you. I had gone through 3 rounds of IUI and then moved onto IVF. My FS used the same drugs as IUI, but increased my puregon dosage from 50l to 100l. The only problem that I had was that my right ovary became hyperstimulated, which caused a huge amount of bloating (I looked like I was 4 months preggars!!!). But the bloating didn't hurt. But like the others said as long as you drink at least 3L of water a day then there souldn't be any problems. If you do have symptoms then you should immediately talk to you nurse just to rule out OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome). I am now pregnant and would go through the same process 1000 times over just to get my bub.