+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Pets with Babies

Opinions Needed!!

When do you think is the best time to get a pet (namely a dog) when you have children? Should you get the puppy when the child is still a baby, toddler or a bit older (ie. school-age)?

Obviously breed/temperament are factors (I like beagles hehe). Do you think I should wait until bub gets older or should I get the puppy so "they grow up together"??

When I was a kid I had a kitten that was born on the same day as I was (a relative's cat had kittens and one was given to my parents as a present the day I was born). I grew up with this cat (who, sadly died on my 16th birthday) and I'll always remember him in a really special way. He was my little special friend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its cute to have them grow up together, and by the time the kiddie is old enough to harrass the poor dog, then they'll already be firm friends! And the dog might be a bit more tolerant?

I had animals before kids and have gotten a few since then, Mackenzie is a horror (she's 2 1/2), she picks the kitten up all the time and hurts him sometimes (doesn't realise you can't pick em up by the legs...), has put him in the bath, and the dogs always cop hell. We have a jack russell & a min foxie, and she tries to ride them all the time...luckily they're pretty good with her.

Sorry, i didn't really help did i? Kind of went off on a tangent....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good question. Have been wondering myself!

I have seen a poor kitten getting harrassed by my 4year old and 2 year old cousin but then the cat comes back for more and hides behind things to get them back when they least expect it! Hilarious!

I have also seen an 18 month old across the road pulling ears and being so rough with two massive dogs (bull mastiff cross and german shephard cross) and they are so gentle with her it's amazing. But, if anyone or anything goes near their fence they go nuts and snarl!!

For Tayla, I think we will wait until she is around 5 years old or when we have travelled for a bit as I hate leaving animals in a boarding kennel or left for the neighbours to feed.

Great temperament dogs are your labradors and golden retrievers for the larger ones and smaller ones I am not to sure as they all seem to be a bit snippy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, our kitten does that! She chases Mac everywhere and bites our feet! And jumps out from behind the couch! It was cute at first, now its getting a bit annoying.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There are so many factors to consider when you are thinking about getting a new pet with children.
    I think it is great to introduce them at a young age, but you have to be very careful of the breed you choose.
    Beagles are great dogs, but go by their nose and you need to put a lot of time in with them. They aren't really 'recommended' for toddlers, but every dog has a different temperament.
    Labs and Golden Retreivers are great for children, but through work, I have found that a lot of families get them thinking they are really good and then don't end up training them, hence a lot of very over zealous labbies running around.
    A great breed is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they are so easy going and will put up with anything!
    You also have to consider how much time you have. A lot of people with new babies find they don't have time to do the toilet training and general obedience at the most important time in the puppies life.
    Very individual decision!
    In saying all this I have 2 6 and 7 year old Border Collies, and they are fantastic!!
    Good luck!
    If you want any extra info PM me, I've got heaps!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I love Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I've never met a misbehaving one!

Get a pet young, let the two youngin's bond. I personally think it's a great idea, especially for an older child - as mum needs to deal with younger ones, your eldest can run rampant on a pet and throw attention that way.

I wouldn't say wait until they are school age, especially if getting a dog. Puppies need attention and would go absolutely berserk without people around (not to mention the welcome home! )

Cats? Little independent, as long as they have food, they don't care where you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I dont think their is a "suitable" time to get a pet i mean if your up to looking after an extra addition & giving it the time it requires then go for it, you just have to always remember that they are pets & that they need to be supervised around bubs & that if you get a pup there is the toilet training issue.
    I spent a lot of time a few months back looking into dogs as we were wanting to get one ourselves & were confused as to what to get. I have to agree with Happy Lady about a few breeds.
    Beagles are great dogs but require a lot of attention as they get very stressed if left alone for large periods (a friends Beagle would escape anytime it got bored which meant daily !!!) or dont get human time plus they are also in need of being "worked" as in letting their noses work doing hunting courses etc & no this doesnt involve them actually "hunting" a fox heh. With Labradors again great dogs & very loving etc but very VERY full on as pups (Ive had one & she never got over the puppy stage til 2yrs which ive been told is standard) & they require a hell of a lot of work including training as they get bored very easily being so intelligent they will dig chew etc as well as play up so you have to give them a lot of time which is not always suitable with young kids. That being said there is always the option of going for an older lab say one from the Blind Society that never got its full merits as a guide dog but they have a long list due to the dogs being trained etc & they are firstly put through other testing as aide dogs etc. You can also try some registered breeders as they often have older trained dogs that are needing new homes look for them through the Canine Council in your state.
    Cavalier King Charles are a great breed very gentle etc just require care with brushing etc & they shed. There is always something like a Miniature Schnauzer which also have a great temperament easy going & great for indoors like the CKC but dont actually shed !!!! Which is great obviously !!! If your not worried about size or the coat as in grooming & shedding then i found a great breed called a Keeshond ( pronounced Kayshond ) they are fantastic they do shed though & require a good groom every week as they are long coated. They look somewhat similar to a miniature husky but nowhere near all the temperament probs. They dont need a daily walk as they were a dog bred for the barges in Holland so this means great for townhouses or small yards. They are great with kids very easy going & the biggest sooks.
    Anyways i will stop ranting now !
    Just make sure you dont rush in which is usually the mistake with people as they see puppies & want one. Do it for all the right reasons & things will go well !