+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question How should i sort this out with my mum

I have no yet had my baby, Iam 22 weeks pregnant.

Iam going to raise my children on how i feel is right.I know alot about nutrition and my dad also works in that area.I pretty much believe that meat/fish, veges/fruits, nuts is all that is good.I believe takeaway and packaged foods are greasy and unnessasary and shouldnt be in the diet at all(or at a small portion). pretty much things with little nutrional vaule, i think man made carb's shouldnt be consumed.

I dont intend on buying junk for my son at all, i would feel like it was intentionaly doing him harm.How ever i dont see the harm in getting junk sometimes.

My mum has lots of kids, she dosent influence a healthy life style.They eat nothing but bread, chips, takeaway, cordial, snack foods.They sit in front of the tv all day while she feeds them what they want, they eat every hour.I find this discusting, but i keep my mouth shut as it isn't my place.

She knows iam planning on making and vege and fruit garden, and getting my own eggs.My DP and i were going to get Julius to learn how to be economical, and grow his own food.She keeps lashing out telling me how Child saftey will take MY children off me for not feeding takeaway/packed food daily.She keeps saying my children will be anorexic and boney.And children need chips ect. she keeps telling people iam going to be abusive, iam sick of it.I just want to turn around and acuse her parenting but iam controling it.

For my dp's lunch at school, i make up healthy meals for him, for example today i gave him,
    mini marinated chicken bits on top of some lettuce, fruit salad, milk, nuts and saltanas, and some beef croc pot, with beef carot peas and flavourings.

Mum acused me of feeding him Abusively and he needs chips. My DP dosent want junk he loves the lunches i make, and he has 6 hour days and an hour bike ride both ways, and a few chips wont be enough for him in my opinion.

Ive explained how i feel rationaly but she keeps bringing it up and i need some advice here on what to do
    Last edited by neostudded; 28-03-2007 at 05:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps you mother is scared and intimidated by your choices and knows you will do a good job so is feeling threatened and is lashing out with her words.

I wouldn't bother with my time arguing with her about it, just nod and bob and say I'm glad you are making your choices for your family, we are all happy with the choices we are making with our family. Just let her know you are not trying to conver her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neostudded View Post
    Mum acused me of feeding him Abusively and he needs chips. My DP dosent want junk he loves the lunches i make, and he has 6 hour days and an hour bike ride both ways, and a few chips wont be enough for him in my opinion.
    This sounds like my SIL. She makes up unbelievable so called 'facts' about eating right. I like making DS is dinners and very rarely rely on pre-packaged foods (although we do have our 'lazy' night or 'party' night). My SIL on the otherhand says that cordial is better than juice because juice has acid in it, I mean come one! Or no lollies but they can have Maccas! No fruit because fruit has sugar in it but they can have Coke. Good fat, bad fat!

Quote Originally Posted by mamabearof3 View Post
    Perhaps you mother is scared and intimidated by your choices and knows you will do a good job so is feeling threatened and is lashing out with her words.
    I agree. Definately sounds like my SIL. I would try and ignore her and keep in mind she is probably threatened by you because she beleives your going to be a much better parent than she is. It's a sad state of affairs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just continue to lead by example, as you are and hope for their health that they can learn to change their habits and behaviour.

Don't contionue to defend yourself with words as obviously she is feeding of this as a way to stir you up, be confident in your choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may not turn out to be a big problem. Food won't be an issue for some time yet (babies don't eat until they're six months old), and maybe by that time, you'll feel more comfortable confronting your mum.

Will your mum see what you feed your son day-to-day? If she only visits occasionally, she may not even bring it up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the sounds she is just trying to make herself feel better as a mother by putting you down. I bet she feels guilty & is just lashing out on you.....

Just do what you feel is best with your child & if she tries to sabbotage your efforts then confront her. Dont stress now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there is nothing wrong with breads pastas rice and cereals, just choose brwon and wholegrain varieties.
    Last edited by draught; 27-03-2007 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its wonderful that u have such goals for nutrition and education thru growing your own produce. I too am similar with this.

But hun, don't worry yourself about it. U r right, u r the mum and u will make the decision what your child eats.

What others choose to feed their children is their own business. None of us should be concerned accept for our own fams needs.

You don't need to worry about what your mum is doing and she doesn't need to worry about what u r doing.

If she continually makes comments about your choice of food. Cut the convo short or don't even reply. In the end she will think what she wants.

In the end u know what u r doing right. And to me, it sounds like a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baileymoo View Post
    My SIL on the otherhand says that cordial is better than juice because juice has acid in it, I mean come one! Or no lollies but they can have Maccas! No fruit because fruit has sugar in it but they can have Coke. Good fat, bad fat!
    how dilusional (sp?) can one person be....cordial better then juice coz of the acid, no fruit coz of sugar but can have coke...my lordy, she needs to get herself a better education

Thanks
    Reviews
    are you still living with your mum ??