+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF Australia; Costs for IVF?

Hi all

I am considering IVF next month. My FS is with IVF Australia in Sydney. I am trying to work out the costs associated with IVF.

I should be over the $1000 safety net limit this year after a couple of failed IUIs.

So, I am trying to work out is how much I will be out of pocket for fwith IVF?

There are wildly differing reports of costs; one lady here said $6000 out of pocket, while IVF Australia website says out of pocket, after safety net would be $570

I do have private health insurance so should be covered for hospital. I will be up for a $500 excess of course... but i'm not sure if that would be for both egg retrieval and embryo transfer - or if i have to pay the hospital excess each time.... in fact I don't even know if embry transfer happens in the hospital!

I guess there would also be anesthetist costs.

Can anyone enlighten me? We need to start saving asap.

Also, has anyone been to IVF Australia? Were they good?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to IVF Australia at Westmead i see the director of IVF Australia Dr Illingworth.

It's $3000 for a cycle with no added extras like ICSI or taking the eggs to blasto.
    If you need additional meds then that is all on top that $3000 is just for the basic IVF.
    I had ICSI which is $500 more and had my eggs taken to Blasto which was $500 more so in total it was $4000 give or take a few hundred dollars and i got back from Medicare $2258 and i had reacted my safety net half way through so if you have reacted it already then you should get back more then that.
    But you might not be needing all that extra stuff so your outlay in the first place won't be that much so your out of pocket shouldn't be that much. I would say around the $1000 mark.

As for EPU it's day surgery even though you are only there for awhile a few hours you still have your hospital costs.
    My excess is $500 too
    Then my anest was $295 and i had to pay for that with MBF kicking in a great $32 wowow
    Your first transfer after EPU is all included in the first cost so you don't have to pay for the hospital or any additional fees.
    But if it doesn't work a FET is $900 which you get back about $700 from medicare but you do have to pay for the hospital again i think i had to pay $50 cause thats the cover i'm but some don't have that co payment even though you don't even stay for 30mins they still charge you.
    If you have any eggs to freeze it's about $250 for 6mths storage and that isn't covered by medicare or your health fund so that you are out of pocket for.

Hope this has helped abit.

Goodluck and come and join next cycle in a few days part 8 we have lots of ladies going through IVF already or just starting and they are all wonderful with great advice and support come and join us.
    Last edited by sksty; 20-03-2007 at 22:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I've been to IVF Australia in Chatswood - Dr Quinn. He is so nice and so comforting. I definitely would recommend him. I'm about to start the whole IVF cycle next month and I won't know exact costs until next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sksty! That's really helpful. At least now I knwo how much we'll need to save!

Thanks Gina... Good luck with your IVF cycle next month

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im about to start IVF this month through Queensland Fertility Group and would also like to know some of the out of pocket costs including theatre fees etc as we do not have private health...kinda not worth paying the premiums with the 12 month wait and also ive read some covers dont even repay that much...anyway...any information would be great
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I went through IVF Australia 6 years ago and the costs werein total around the $5000 mark. This year I went through Westmead Infertility Centre and it cost me $1450 for my first standard ivf procedure (included all the drugs except pill) and I received $720 back from medicare.....

hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Tam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I didn't go with IVF Australia, I found that my clinic was very helpful when I asked about up front costs before anything was even done.
    They provided me with a list of costs, including anesthesia approximations (because you never know how much you'll need until it's done).

I suggest speaking with your clinic, ask to talk to the accountant or similar and get a list from them.

The other thing I found was that if people were up front about their financial situation, clinics, were happy to arrange a pay as you go or payment system. Again, this is just from my experience with my clinic, but it's worth asking about.

IME the cost of private health insurance far outweighed the benefits for IVF returns so , until private health insurance companies get their act together It's not something I would recommend just for IVF.

Best of luck with your IVF journey.