+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what do YOU do to save money??

i'm really looking for different ideas on how to cut back on basically everything i can because we're trying to save money to buy the house we are living in MIL says she won't sell until we are ready to buy and has given us a year to a year and a half before she is even considering selling so basically my question is what do YOU do to save money...all and any advice would be appreciated..

my second question is that i have bad credit and how much would a financial adviser charge me to check out my debts and see about getting my credit fixed has anyone else had this problem? i got a statement from baycorp and have cleared the large debt but theres one on there for like $15 that i have no idea about, don't know the company and i don't know how to pay it... hmm so yeah again any and all advice you could give would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    to find out your debts, and whats in your credit files... have a look at
    http://www.mycreditfile.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We save money by:

- separate accounts for education, spending, savings etc.
    - no gym memberships exercise at home or walk
    - have own chickens so never buy eggs
    - no takeway unless speshy occasion.
    - used to have a vege garden saved heaps from not buying from shops
    - meat in bulk and frozen when on spesh
    - preplan meals, buy same grocery items each week and top up when there are specials.
    - All change in money boxes.
    - no foxtel, dvds only on 1 dollar tuesday
    - nappies, wipes and formula in bulk
    - nearly all clothes from big w or best and less
    - rarely wash as we only wear minimum clothing.
    - cut own hair, do own nails and beauty treatments

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Buy in bulk anything you can

shop at second hand store, garage sales, ebay, opshops to save $$$ on anything from clothes, funiture to cookware etc

don;t use the dryer if the weather is nice and if it IS raining get some clothes horses and only use the dryer if its absolutely neccessary.

Make and freeze meals for the week/s ahead that way when your tight for cash or can't be bothered cooking you don't have to opt for take-away

put a bit of money into a savings account each week/fortnight etc even if its only $20 or something it all adds up.

if you have friends or relos that can help you with things (like if your sister is a hairdresser for example) get them to do it for free instead of paying heaps of money. My SIL cuts and colours my hair for free (well it costs me about $10 to $20 for hairdye but thats better than spending $100 at the hairdressers).

Don't drive everywhere so you save petrol and money and also get fresh air and excersise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We save money by

- using cloth nappies and wipes (disposables at night)
    - walking instead of driving
    - buying vegies from vegie shop (not the supermarket)
    - not eating junk food
    - not buying much processed food
    - not eating meat (we're vegetarians)
    - not eating out very often
    - buying good second hand clothes
    - shopping around for good prices

When we saved the deposit for our house, I kept a diary of how much I saved and when. I was obsessed and proud of how much we were able to save. It was all worth it as now we have our very own mortgage in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.

Good luck!!