View Poll Results: Are you trying to conquer your fear of natural child birth?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I havent done anything about conquering my fear and I dont intend to

20 32.26%
  • No, I havent yet but might consider it

9 14.52%
  • Yes, I have looked into conquering my fear but havent done anything about it

11 17.74%
  • Yes, I am doing all I can to conquer my fear (courses, therapists, etc)

13 20.97%
  • Other (please tell us)

9 14.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you suffer from Tokophobia? (Fear of child birth)

No judgement intended people! - just curious about if sufferers of tokophobia who want to have elective c-sections have tried conquering their fear of child birth or aren't interested in trying to?

I was a bit scared of giving birth so did a course on hypnobirthing and it took away all my fear and resulted in a wonderful natural birth and speedy recovery (I was up and walking around with my baby immediately after the cord was cut). It really was the most empowering experience I've ever had, and I wish all women could birth without fear. The mind is such a powerful thing and I believe with the right techniques, our fears can be eliminated.

So just wondering what other women have done to help themselves eliminate the fear

Also, have you thought about if you were unable to have a c-section for whatever reason, like going in to early labour and there was absolutely no way you could get to a hospital, like if you were trapped in an elevator or natural disaster or something? Wouldn't it be good to learn some coping techniques just incase you don't get the c-section you're hoping for?
    Last edited by tru; 14-03-2007 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I defintly suffer from fear of childbirth!!! I am planning on having a c/s no doubt about it nothing will change my mind. If i go into early labour i will be rushing for emergncy c/s but i mean if i had no choice but birth naturally i dont kno how i would handle im having panic attacks now so i wouldnt hae a clue how id deal with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing that, Kita

I wish you all the best with your birthing experience, and Im sure if you had to birth naturally you would be ok because your body would take over and do it all for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have a fear of childbirth.
    I have now hit the denial stage of this pregnancy where im denying im pg & dont want to accept i have to give birth again.
    I had a traumatic vb with my son that resulted in 3rd degree tearing, a prolapse & incontinence. They were the physical scars but the emotional run even deeper.

Bubhub has helped me talk about it a lot more but its still not enough im hoping to have proper counselling in regards to my birthing experience before this bubs arrival. Im then hoping this will lead me to a decision as to whether i should have another vb or go down the c/s road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tru, I know that it's not what you were trying to say, and I understand that you were asking a genuine question, but........................

I still can not comprehend why there is still such a stigma attached to women who elect to have caesareans. I have a phobia of child birth and have not looked in to conquering it. I am happy to have my c sections and never have to face my fears. Whether people think that makes me weak, stupid or childish I don't really care. All I know is that it makes me happy, and to me that's all that counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou stompy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stompy View Post
    I have a phobia of child birth and have not looked in to conquering it. I am happy to have my c sections and never have to face my fears. Whether people think that makes me weak, stupid or childish I don't really care. All I know is that it makes me happy, and to me that's all that counts.
    Yes Your happiness is all that matters to you, and good on you for going after the birth you want. I really wish you the best of luck on a positive experience.

I just don't know how fear can mean happiness and wonder why people don't want try to remove that fear

threepigs is offline It's true - there are really four of us ;-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested to know what exactly constitues the phobia. I mean, lots of women are afraid. I was totally petrified but let nature run its course....not sure I understand at what poiint normal every day fear stops and phobia starts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess phobia is the women who arent willing to conquer their fears and try nature take its course "like myself" and have no interest in anything but a c/s becoz i am that afraid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allyoo View Post
    I have a fear of childbirth...

...im hoping to have proper counselling in regards to my birthing experience before this bubs arrival. Im then hoping this will lead me to a decision as to whether i should have another vb or go down the c/s road.
    Counselling is a great idea, allyoo! Talking about fears is a great way to beat them. Best of luck in your journey.