+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centrelink payments

Hi, does anybody know what sort of help is available to me if I was to leave my husband? We have two children but I wouldn't drag them off with me.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends on your circumstances - if you own a home, rent, if you work, if hubby works and how much he earns. My friend receives about $480 a week - $380 from Centrelink which includes rent relief and $100 a week child support for one child from her ex.

Probably best to ring Centrelink and ask them but they have some useful info on their website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i am a single mum with 1 child. I receive approx $760 a fortnight without rent assistance.
    If you own your home then you will still get the pension but without rent assistance. You will get a health care card, discount on rego, electricity and phone.
    You will also receive 1 return train ticket that you can use to go anywhere in your state for about $5 I think it is. If you work (this is just approx) you can earn $130 a fortnight (or maybe its a week?) without them touching your pension then they take 40c in the dollar - you still come out on top.
    You receive up to 50 hours free daycare a week.
    Your are also eligible for housing commission - although this can take years.
    You will have to claim child support - no choice in it I'm afraid.
    I would def look at the wesite - www.familyassist.gov.au
    Feel free to ask anything else if you want?
    Oh and carls - your friend you talk about - she must be in a relationship to be only getting that much - am I right??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i noticed you mentioned you would not be taking your children, if this is the case and you do not work then you are only eligible for new start allowance, not parenting payment single, not sure how much it is a fortnight, but i know it is not very much at all, and signicantly alot less than parenting payment, so hopefully(for your sake) you are working. (also if this is the case it is you who will have to pay your ex child support)

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The child support thing is nothing to do with a partner's income.

It is currently worked out on a percentage after a certain amount is set aside for the payer (think it's about 13000 if they don't have a child, and goes up to about 22000 and add another 2000 for subsequent children). If you have one child, the maintenance is 17% of the payer's taxable income (before they pay tax) and 27% if you have two children. If the payer has a loss from a rental house etc this isn't taken into account. The amount of maintenance is only reduced when the payee (receiver of the maintenance) earns over a certain amount (in the case of my husband's ex - her exempted amount is 39000). For people receiving what seems like only a little amount (like carls friend receiving 100 p/w - that would mean her ex is earning about 43000. (or very clever with his books).

Thanks
    Reviews
    blue could you please explain your post - I took you not wanting to drag your children away as you wanting to know your options first. Is it this or are you planning on leaving them.
    Oh and carls I just read your properly - she gets that per week - I was thinking per fortnight.

Oh and the child support thing is a load of s***. I haven't received a cent in over 12 months - what does the child support agency say - they can only contact him so many times - they can't harras him. He doesn't do his tax so there is absolutly nothing I can do to make him pay.
    Last edited by razzle; 06-12-2005 at 16:43. Reason: language

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i agree kamaikia, i wasnt quite sure what it meant either, whether she is leaving but is not taking the kids,

or she wants to leave but doesnt want to uproot the kids. please explain so we can help you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thinking of just leaving it all. I love my kids dearly, but I'm so sick of being treated like a slave by my dh and I've had enough. Some days I'm so over being a mum that I feel that it would be best to leave the children where they are and make a new start on my own. I am not working, that's why I need to find out what I can do for $ while trying to get on my own two feet, and be a real person again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In that case all you'd probably be entitiled to would be Newstart Allowance, which is only about $360 or so a fortnight.. the Centrelink website is down right now so I can't look it up for you.

Can I ask, not knowing much about your situation apart from what you have said so far, did you ever have PND after the birth of your kids? It seems to me from an outsiders view based on the information you have given so far that perhaps you did, and perhaps it is still lingering? Or are you just so resentful towards your hubby that you're perhaps trying to push your kids away so you don't have to ever deal with your hubby again?

Have you tried marriage counselling or talking to your husband about how you feel? Have you tried anything along those lines to try and work this out or is it really that bad that you want to leave both your husband AND kids without a second thought? It would be a shame for your kids to lose their mother without her making a really good hard effort to sort things out.

My questions and thoughts might be annoying you but I cannot believe that any mother would want to just leave their kids behind, especially without trying to resolve any issues there are first. I had a girlfriend once who gave her baby away when he was aged 9 months and kept her toddler, she was a nasty horrible girl with no conscience what-so-ever. She had no regrets, she did not even think it through. The new man in her life told her that he didn't like babies, and so she gave the little boy away. In hindsight the little boy is better off because he was unwanted by her anyway, but do you see my point here? (and it's not that you are horrible for wanting to leave the kids, either)

I had PND and when my son was 2 weeks old and my relationship was falling apart I was ready to call it quits and leave, walk away from everything. I sought Dr's advice and counselling and whilst the relationship didn't survive I at least walked away with my son. I don't know how I would have ever lived with myself if I had left my son behind.

Please give us a little more detail about what is happening.. you have really given us nothing except that DH treats you like a slave and you are sick of being a mum. It makes it really hard to try and suggest things to help.

This probably would have been better in a PM, but I feel my thoughts and questions are valid and might help anyone else in this situation.

Please understand that I am not being judgemental, just trying to understand and assess if there are other ways for this to be sorted out than you just leaving.
    Last edited by Blue&Pink; 07-12-2005 at 15:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to be a little naieve here,..but how on earth could you consider leaving your kids? I really don't think that you should be entitled to anything, if you walk out on your kids and your responsibilities. How do you think that you leaving will affect them? If you are sick of the way that he is treating you, how could you leave the little ones in his care? Are you not worried about the way that he would treat them?