+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Lightbulb Cool the Globe - Lights Off

BubHubbers - Lets make a difference! In conjunction with Earth Hour I would like to raise awareness of a Wednesday-weekly campaign that is being sponsored and promoted by the Australian Conservation Foundation and Channel 7's morning show, Sunrise.

The first Wednesday of each month has been designated Lights Off Australia night, when residents switch off lights and businesses turn off lights that aren't required overnight.

The national initiative is part of Cool The Globe and kicks off on Wednesday 7 March 2007.

"We're being realistic. We're not asking people to go without lights when they need them. All we're saying is if you're not using a light then turn it off," said Sunrise Executive Producer Adam Boland.

"This whole campaign is about cutting down energy wastage. While we're starting with just one day per month, we genuinely hope this event starts to change people's habits and it becomes part of everyday life."

ACF's Don Henry says commercial buildings use around a third of all electricity in cities, contributing to Australia's rising greenhouse emissions.

"Businesses can stop wasting energy and help tackle climate change by making sure the lights go off every night when the cleaners leave, by upgrading their lighting control systems and by asking their energy retailer to switch them over to Greenpower."

Australians are also being urged to turn off appliances left on standby - leaving mobile phone chargers, TVs and microwaves on standby accounts for up to 10% of the average household's electricity use.

To register or find out more go to www.cooltheglobe.com/lightsoff

So tonight - lets turn off all lights that dont really need to be on - I know that I have my porch sensor light turned on - so I'll be switching that off, as well as the hallway light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump!! Dont forget this is TONIGHT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting - we will be doing this tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just asked DH to turn the lights off that we were not using and he said ' oh, that's right it's that wednesday bull ****'!

Honestly I don't know why he is soo unenviromental (is that even a word ) sometimes, especially when he is so intent on using cloth nappies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm can I keep 1 on DS needs his light left on dimly, otherwise he freaks out.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by poshBecks View Post
    Hmm can I keep 1 on DS needs his light left on dimly, otherwise he freaks out.....
    Yup - you can have one on The aim isn't to be sitting in the dark (though that CAN be lots of fun!) - but to simply begin to reduce the amount of energy consumption your using.

I have my computer room light on, and the light above the stairway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Lady View Post
    Yup - you can have one on The aim isn't to be sitting in the dark (though that CAN be lots of fun!) - but to simply begin to reduce the amount of energy consumption your using.
    Oh good. Thanks Better check that I turn my laundry light off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we do this anyway, just like the light of one lamp and the tv at night time.

Its a great start, hopefully habit forming!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok just registered...make sure you register everyone as it helps them add up how much they reduced etc...

Will turn the light off from above the stove..it's been on since my son was born and he is 4!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ** BUMP **

First Wednesday of every month - so this is tonight!!