+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Developmental Milestones

I have a 16mth old daughter who is still not crawling or walking.
    She rolls everywhere and commando crawls sort of pulls herself along. She can get up on her knees but she doesn't know what to do when she is up there.
    I have been to the Dr's and he says its not that worrying so don't worry cause she is getting around alright.
    Its frustrating cause i want her to do it and i try to help her and show her what to do but she just gets cranky and cries then i get upset.
    She did have dislocated hips when she was born and when she was 1wk old she was put into a pavlik harness and she wore that for the first 4mths.
    I know that it has delayed her alittle but i'm really worried still that there is an underlying problem and the more i bring it up with her dr the more he dismisses it. I have taken her to the clinic nurse and she can help me either.
    I started taking her to the physio's and they will only see her every 3-4wks and they give me ideas to try and encourage her but nothing works.
    She really wants to stand all the time and she takes a few steps when she is holding on to your hands which she wasn't doing a few months ago but she isn't getting any better with that either.

Has anyone had their children be behind in this area?

What do i do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I can't give you any first hand experience with this one but I do have one suggestion. You are her mum and know her best - if you are worried and an obstinate doctor won't address your concerns maybe you could get a second opinion? It might just give you the peace of mind you are looking for.

PS She's a cutie (in your avatar) and looks like a happy little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you sure that our babies are not related. My little boy who turned 16 months today neither crawls or walks either. He too justs roles everywhere. He is very alert and everything else but just has no interest in the above. Let me know how you get on, oh by the way i never walked until i was 18 months but that because my mum wouldnt put me down on the floor because she didnt want me to get dirty.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default dont panic..

its all good ...
    Its not unheard of for kids not to walk at this age.Although I also would be trying to investigate....should she be crawling yet?? They all do it in their own time and she is probably fabulous at something else and has a super personality.The fact that she has had a delayed start {harness etc..} will possibly mean she has to apply more effort....and at this age she is exploring and experiencing so many other different things....she needs a rest.So dont be hard on yourself or her..as much as its frustrating..also look into kindygym or baby gym class.I have been an instructor and it wil do wonders for her.....really!!! good luck shes a cutiepie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am normally the first person to say that babies will do things in their own time.
    But at 16 months to still be comando crawling I would be getting a bit concerned. Especially since she is showing frustration that she can't get around as well as she would like. That says to me that she is mentally ready but physically something might be holding her back.
    I think I would be getting a second opinion. These things can often be addressed with minimal fuss as long as intervention comes early. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son did not crawl til he was 18months and he started rocking on all fours at 12 months. He was premmie and has hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain). I think being around other crawling babies at Daycare really helped him and this was especially true when it came to walking also (he did not walk til 2yrs 3mths). It is amazing how much peer interaction can encourage children's develpment.

Einstein did not walk until he was three... Being delayed did not hold him back. I believe children with physical developmental delays become more advanced in other areas as time goes on. My son, now 3yrs, has very good language. Possibly due to the extra time he got to spend not tearing around but being able to listen and absord everything in his environment more thoroughly.

Support and encouragement, lots love and understanding, and just being there for your child in success and set-backs is the very best you can do for them.

I hope I did not ramble too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I first started reading your thread my first thought was hip dislocation, and then I read that she was in a harness for this anyway.

This condition runs in my family as well. DD was born with 'clicky' hips, and wasn't cleared from wearing a brace until she was 4 months old.

Maybe the time in the harness has just delayed her a bit? How long was she in it?

I agree with Flicka though....if you're not happy with whatyour doctor is telling you, maybe get a second opinion? Are you seeing a GP or a pediatrician? My Ped was AWESOME!!!

Good luck with it. I would love to hear what you decide to do, and how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Flicka- Thanks she is my angel she was a long time in the waiting. I have seen a GP and my PED and 2 physio's they all say they don't think there is a problem it's very frustrating. Thanks for your advice though.
    You have a little angel too.

Madreader- She was a very chucky baby and being in the harness i never really but her on the floor on her stomach which i think was my first mistake cause she was alittle delayed in holding her head up and the harness stopped her from rolling so she was a little behind with this and also sitting cause cause she was unable too in the harness.
    Sometimes i think the harness did more harm then good.
    Was your little man a good sleeper i remember going to my mothers group and all their babies would be crying and fussing and very active i never had that with Bree she was just content to sit and watch or sleep.
    The Ped said that cause she let the first 6 mths slip by by sleeping that could be it too.
    She has really good communicating skills though she has been putting words together since Christmas which is great so she is advanced in other areas.
    I feel better knowing that she is not the only one. Are you concerned that your little guy isn't doing these things?

Monkey- Thanks, She does get up on all fours and rocks she moves her feet forward but doesn't know that if she moved her arms she would move forward. She then gives up and flops back onto her stomach.

Emmylou- Thats how i fell but the Ped and the GP and the physio's (i took her to one physio and they didn't really think there was a problem and dismissed me so i took her to another and they say the same thing)
    They all say that if she hadn't made any progress then they would be worried but as she has improved cause she wasn't even taking any weight on her legs 4 mths ago now she puts one foot in front of the other and she wouldn't get up on her knees now she does and rocks they say it's ok only worry if there wasn't any improvement. I don't know what to do? My family keeps telling me she will do it when she is ready.

Greenfroggirl- Bree was 6 wks premmie other then her hips and a problem with feeding and she was only 2kg there was no other health problems. She use to just sleep alot and i would have to wake her to feed her to get her weight up cause she lost alot of weight in hospital she was only 1.5kg when she finally came home.
    Thanks for telling me about your little man his he ok now?

Kirst- I'm seeing a GP and a Ped and a physio they all say the same thing if she wasn't improving then they would be worried but as she can get around and she is doing things she wasn't doing before they aren't worried.
    I just don't know what to do and feel that sometimes i'm overreacting and then i think no there is something wrong she should be doing it by now.

Thanks for all your advice.
    I have started her in swimming lessons to strengthen her muscle she goes two times a week and i have seen an improvement since starting that maybe i will get a second opinion from another ped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with it all sksty. If all of those professionals aren't worried, maybe it is a simple as the time in the harness has just lengthened her development timeline a bit?

All the best.
    {hugs}

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kirst- Lets just say first time Mum syndrome and wont her to be on time with her milestones. Thanks