+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Nice places to visit by train in Brisbane

Hello

My DS is a train lover...so lately we have done a couple of trips from the Gold Coast to Roma Street Parklands - he loves the little train at the park, the bridges etc and its just a nice change of scenery for him (& me).

What I wanted to know, are there any other nice places I could get off the train coming from the Gold Coast...I heard someone mention another parklands somewhere in Brisbane that did have a train station nearby.

We have done Southbank & the Museum too (which he loved).

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There's the botanic gardens in the city. It's a little walk from the station...not too far (and I think there's a loop bus that can take you there anyway).

I don't know any other places between the GC and Bris though... I'm more along the Ipswich way...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about going out to the airport and watching the planes? I'm not sure about the fare on the train to the airport though. That would be interesting for him.

Maybe go down to Wynnum and walk along the waterfront. It's very nice down there.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Did you have a look at http://www.ourbrisbane.com? There may be some info there for you too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my FIL is a train finatic! Every month they have a Steam train Sunday, where a steam train does a loop out to the Port of Brisbane and back. There is also the rail museum at Ipswich with a "Thomas" exhibition. You can buy tickets from QLD rail for Steam Train Sunday. The rail museum is also accessible by train, I'm not sure where you get off though...

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy07 View Post
    my FIL is a train finatic! Every month they have a Steam train Sunday, where a steam train does a loop out to the Port of Brisbane and back. There is also the rail museum at Ipswich with a "Thomas" exhibition. You can buy tickets from QLD rail for Steam Train Sunday. The rail museum is also accessible by train, I'm not sure where you get off though...
    That is one I was going to suggest.....

Also how about out to Manly or Cleveland...there is nice places to go and eat/sit, and at manly there is a beach.....with lots of sail boats as well...

On the Ipswich line, there a quiet a few nice train stops, scenic, they are sort of rustic......older ones, they have character.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm on the same line as you BG and I haven't found too much on the line from the GC to Brisbane. To divert to different lines takes up your whole day (not that your DS would mind!).
    The Steam Train Sunday has always been on our list of things to do! We are currently booking for the Mary Valley Rattler up at Gympie. It is only about $10 for a half day tour for an adult!
    Anyway enough train talk. We usually just go to Southbank a lot! Or we drive to the railway museum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh, I like the sound of the Steam Train...I'll have to look into that...the Botanic Gardens in the City Sound nice too.

I just love seeing different things...don't get me wrong I just love the Gold Coast...but you can only go to the beach and the theme parks so many times before you start to want to do something else.

Thanks Guys...some great ideas...I'll also check out that website someone posted too.