+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions about evolution

I have been wondering where the evidence of evolution is as I have never seen any proven missing links that are of course the basis of evolution. Have they all been found yet? Have any been found that are authentic? Where are these famous missing links? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by SixtiesChild; 19-02-2007 at 23:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The missing links are still missing (as far as I know). several assumptions made by original evolution theories have since been de-bunked. Much of it seems to be based on what can be observed and making (calculated) assumptions on the implications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh and there are other threads about evolution in this section if you do a search

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do they still teach the "theory" of evolution in schools? I remember being taught it at my "Christian" school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchstar View Post
    Do they still teach the "theory" of evolution in schools? I remember being taught it at my "Christian" school
    I changed highschools after yr 8 and leant 2 different "theories" form the 2 different schools...weird hey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    hmmmmmmm...veeeeeeeryy stange indeed lol....

BTW, I got Toby's homeschool science curriculum today in the mail....it looks really great....www.apologia.com if you are interested

Thanks
    Reviews
    SOrry to hijack thread...

Back to evolution....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu is a fantastic resource. I'd suggest that people go there, so we're all talking about the same thing.

As for 'the missing link', it really depends what you're looking for.

Common ancestors of apes and humans? No problem, there's plenty of animals down the timeline.

The very latest common ancestor before the critical branch between hominids and other primates? Probably not. Can you explain the significance?

One rather satisfying discovery attracting a lot of attention recently was Tiktaalik, the 'missing link' between fish and tetrapods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The missing link Iím talking about is the animal that clearly proves the evolution of one specie to another. For example, the missing link of a dog like creature to a horse would be the half-dog, half-horse creature. To date, literature by evolutionists admit that there is no such hard evidence (I can highlight references if requested). Further, Darwin himself, in his own books, had doubts about his own theory. If the entire provable missing links just arenít there, why is this "theory" presented & published in the manner of proven fact? Out of all the billions of species recorded in the animal kingdom, why havenít we discovered many, many more obvious transitions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The theory of evolution was taught as part of my biological science curriculum. I don't have a problem with that. I accept it as the best theory science has come up with, nothing more, nothing less. However, I do have a problem if religious thought is injected into scientific subjects - where does it end? To be fair, wouldn't we have to learn how the Aboriginies traditionally theorised how people came into being in biology or how Buddhists think we came to exist etc?

If Christians want to hear alternate theories of how we came to be I don't have a problem with them learning about those as part of their religious education.

Science and religion are two different ways of thinking of the world, how the world works, and our place in it - there should be room for both - neither can be expected to explain everything.