+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you know when it is time to go to hospital?

Hi everyone,

I have another one of my many stress head questions!

How do you know when you should leve for the hospital?

I don't want to race in there at the first sign but I also do not want to give birth in my car!

So I guess I want to know how did you know when??

Also do you need to put towels and stuff down on the seat so you don't make a mess??

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dont worry I think everybody has these questions with a first baby.

I knew it was time to go to hospital... my waters broke in the middle of the night, followed by mucus, followed by contractions. My waters were green when they broke as they were meconnim stained (bub did a poo in utero) eww...I know!

If your waters are green you usually have to go to hospital straight away which is what happened to me.

Dont worry you will know when it's time. If your not sure when it happens...just contact the hospital, the midwives are great.

As for towels etc... I didnt need any but it depends if you have a hind or fore water break. You will have to wait until it happens to answer that one but hey it doesnt hurt to be prepared!

Goodluck with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh sweetie, we've all been there.

I remember wondering just what it would feel like. What exactly do labour pains feel like? I wondered, how will I know when it's for real and not just braxton hicks.

Anyway with dd2 my waters broke at home. I'd also lost my wallet. We called my mum to babysit dd1 and we searched the house for the wallet. At one point I just declared that we had better give up b/c the pains were getting more intense and closer together. We got there with plenty of time, but both dh and I were a little concerned on the way in.

on the other hand a gf had such odd pains at irregular intervals and they were repeatedly told it wasn't labour for that reason. However it was and she very nearly had the baby in the loo in the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I kept calling the hospital, & they told me when to come in. I think the "rule" was, when your contractions are 3 mins appart or if you cant handle the pain.

I did have towels on the seat, and a nappy in my undies It did the job

RB

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, if I was going to be going to the hosital, I would hold out, and labour at home for as long as possible, ie, until you feel as though you really cannot cope anymore.
    Just cuts down the chances of labour stalling dead when you get there due to unfamiliar surroundings etc, and also less chance of unnecessary interventions being administered.
    If you are keen on a natural birth, a 'later' arrival always helps that out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My birth centre said about 5 minutes apart, but you also speak to them through out your labour and they listen to you having a contraction to see how "Hard" you are working!

It would also depend on how far away from the hospital you are.

I went in at 5 minutes apart and still laboured for another 8 hours in the hospital (after 10 at home)

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My waters broke at home both times, and cos they were the fore and hind waters (which felt like a massive pop and a huge heavy gush of fluids, not a trickle) and then I had membranes coming away (gluey clear like disharge every time I wiped i had handfulls of the stuff) and my plug too, that came away minutes before my waters broke which was a blob of bloody like mucous stuff, I was told to drive in to hospital as it was a 40 minute drive away!

Oh and I was having contractions every 5 minutes or less.

Sounds charming all those details hey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the others have said.. when you start to contract, or your waters break, phone the hosptial and the midwives will help you. They are fabulous!

Here's a great story... my girlfriend was pregnant with her third. One day near the end of her pregancy, she had a little tiff with her husband. She jumped in the car and went around the corner to have a cry. While there her waters broke, so she drove home again. She called out to her husband, who at first thought she was still yelling at him. Once he finally realised what was going on he bustled the other two kids in the car, helped her around to the passenger seat and jumped in the drivers seat ready to go to hospital. Just down the street the fluid started to leak through his jeans.. lol he had to sit in it for the trip to the parents place to drop off other kids, for the trip to the hospital and all through the labour! That'll teach him to argue with his wife!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same question - I think everyone does.

However, not sure of other women's experiences, but mine was a little bit of a shock.

I was at 36 weeks exactly, and during the night I had a pop and a gush of liquid. I thought I had wet myself, but realised something wasn't right when I couldn't stop it. I was quite beside myself, cause I was definitely not prepared with any of it. But because I was only 36 weeks, I called the hospital and they said for me to go in straight away as they needed to check that I was going to contract and go into labour.

And as we driving to the hospital the contractions started, we spent about 2 hours at the hospital, only to be then transferred to another hospital. This took about an hour to 2, and then my beautiful boy was born 5 hours later.

The hospital will definitely let you know what and when and how.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies

I will try and stay home for as long as I can and stay in touch with the hospital.

It is just reassuring to hear how all of you went!

Thanks again