+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare dilemma needing advice.

Hiya

I know this should probably be in the child care thread but I figure more people frequent these threads than that one.

I have a baby girl who is almost 6 months old and I am not due to go back to work until July next year.

I had my name down at the childcare centre near us that I would like to get her into and our neighbour also works there.

She came to us today to say (insider info) that they have reshuffled groups for next year etc and a position has come up in the baby room starting January.
    The position will be 3 days a week.

Our neighbour knew we were keen so has pencilled us in for the position upon then talking to us.

I am both excited and scared at the same time.
    I am not ready to part with her for 3 days a week and I have now made my hubby aware that to keep the position we will need to pay for it.

Issues with my work is that due to budget constraints they can't really take me back any earlier than I stipluated as they make other arrangements to fill my spot etc.

My neighbour said I could take her down to there for like an hour or so on those days I get and build up from there...

I guess what I am wanting to know is if anyone has had any experience with this ... ie getting a daycare position earlier than expected or needed and what they did.

i just know that come July when i go back to work that if I don't take this position now they have already said in the past that a childcare position is very unlikely to become available mid year....

Helllllppppppppppppppppp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a really tough position to be in. But the reality is if you want that spot for later in the year then you either need to pay for it and not use it or use it now. This is actually a good thing because you can get your DD use to child care and feeling very safe and secure there before you have to leave her to go to work.
    Think of it as a positive, that you have heaps of time to settle her in, so by the time go have to go back to work she is so settled and use to the environment that she won't notice you going back.
    You only need to leave her for as long as you want to. If that is for an hour then it's an hour then you can gradually increase the time until you are leaving her for the amount time you will be when you go back to work.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went through the same dilema when my little girl was newborn .... I had the place reserved for me to start work in June and it came available in January .... she was all of 6 weeks old and in a Pavolic harness (hip harness so special needs/requirements)

I weighed up the pros and cons and sent her in to day care from the very start. I had to leave her there most the day as I also had my son in day care and he would have gone insane if I only left them an hour (it took him half an hour to settle after being dropped off) Now she is soo used to being in daycare that the two weeks that they are closed over Christmas is very hard on them .... they miss school so badly.

Though if she is your only child you could also volunteer for a couple of hours each week so that not only are you sending her (to keep the spot open) but also helping the day care out. I know myself (being a child care worker also) that a mum is always helpful around the centre to read stories, help with meals and rest times and to have another adult to talk to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow - what a big decision.

Personally, I think I'd leave the spot rather than pay for a spot for 6 months when you didn't have to.

My DS has been in childcare 3 days per week since he was just under 5 months old and he absolutely loves it. If I could have had an extra 6 months at home with him full time though, I would have jumped at the chance.

Would your finances be able to support it for that long ? Remember that the Childcare rebate will be affected if you are paying for days but not taking him in - you only have a certain number of absences you can take.

It is a risk and a really tough decision - good luck with whatever you choose !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Can't you just take one day/week? Easier on your finances and you're usually at the top of the list when new days come up if you're already at the centre. No guarantee that you'll get the others when you want them though - I guess.

Just a thought Cheers