+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bed time?? What time??

HI all,
    can I get some advice on when to put my baby down for the night??She is 11 weeks and we have lots of night wake-ups!!
    At the moment she gets tired around 5pm and will go to sleep til midnight, then wake every 2 hrs
    I can manage this OK but last night we had to go out and she stayed up til 730 and then slept almostthru the night, waking at 2 for one feed only!!! (shock horror!!)
    Should I keep putting her down at 5 or should I keep her up and see if she sleeps better??
    Ta!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 13wk old DD sleep pattern is like this:

8am feed, sleep 10am, sleep till 3pm, feed 3.30pm, awake until 6.30pm, feed 6.30/7pm. sleep 7pm, wake for feed only at 10.30pm (I have lights off/tv off and don't make eye contact), back to bed and sleep at 11pm, wakes about 2am but resettles, awake and feed 8am again.

This is her doing not strict routine on our part.

When we are out obviously the sleep and feeding times can change a bit but this is generaly her day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its a really hard one to answer because every baby is different, but the best idea is to try a couple of different methods and go with the one that works best for you.
    Having said that a good routine (as dmaree mentioned) really helps as even at a young age bub know's what to expect next.
    I found that bathtime at night, then a feed and straight to bed was a good routine as the bath helped bub get relaxed and all sleepy, then a full tummy and its off to sleep!!
    May you find something that works for both you and your baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree with Peaceangels that every baby is different so it can be hard to say whats right or wrong because some babies want more sleep or some want more activities etc. But you can at least try a few things & see what works otherwise falling back to what you originally had in place.
    I found that slowly changing sleeping routines etc was the best way to go otherwise it was all too much of a shock & my bubs would reject it. He was pretty much all over the place at first as he was a very unsettled, clingy & colicky baby. But by July we had some sort of routine ( bubs was born March ). He was feeding every 4hrs or so which made it a little easier but there was time where he was expecting a feed every 2hrs whic made things a little harder. Maybe just slowly change your day so bubs is going to bed a little later every nite & see how that goes then one nite who knows she may even sleep through i know i had a shock the first time mine did !

5am - Wake & feed then straight back to sleep.
    8am - Wake & feed.
    8.30am - Playtime.
    12pm - Feed & nap.
    4pm - Wake & feed.
    4.30pm - Playtime.
    6pm - Daddy time.
    7pm - Bath & massage.
    8pm - Last feed before bed.

This of course varies depending on weekends as well as being out & about.
    So as he has gotten older i have slowly decreased his naps with larger playtimes etc. He now wakes around 6 or 7am to which we then start our day ending with him in bed around 7pm. My boy still prefers a morning & afternoon sleep but they are usually only about an hour now but sometimes he wants only a small morning sleep it all depends on whats going on i think cause if we have visitors he loves the attention !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like everyone says, Each baby is different.
    I always found that trying to keep my little one up a bit later at night made him sleep longer during the night. At 9 weeks he slept from about 9pm to about 5am.
    Until he started solids at about 5 months, it was quite easy to manage a routine. Once he started eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same times everyday, a routine was easy and since then, he goes to bed at 6.30pm (7pm if he is lucky) and sleeps until about 7am. He sleeps for about an hour in the am and 3 ish hours in the pm. He loves to sleep!
    I am worried he is over sleeping?? But not complaning.
    Just do what feels best for you and suits you and you bubby best.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up Update!

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
    Last night I bathed her at 5 then fed her and kept her up until 6pm but felt horrible as the poor little thing could hardly keep her eyes open!! and she had one night wake-up only at 3 am, then back to sleep and the day started after the 6am feed
    She is in a better mood this morning than usual because she slept longer overnight so I may try it again tonight and see how we go...
    I dont know how your babies stay up til 8 or 9!!
    They are just all so different I guess
    Ta!!
    Last edited by Poppy'smum; 30-11-2005 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Poppys mum,
    My DS is 12 weeks old and has just started going to bed at about 9.30-10pm and sleeping till 6am. And thats great for me cause I go to bed late anyway!! Every baby is definitely different and they do what suits them! Maybe as Poppy gets older, she might be able to stay awake a bit longer. Just go with the flow I think, she'll set her own pace!