+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena IUD

Does any one know about this type of IUD? I am looking at having one inserted and I wanted to know all about it before getting one put in. I can not have the pill no more because I have irritable bowel and I lose the pill on to many occasions to be safe,

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(16 days old)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Michele

I had an IUD inserted Wednesday. It wasn't the Mirena type though. I couldn't get that one because it has the same hormones used in the pill which I am allergic to. It releases the same dose as the pill. Apparantly it has a 98% success rate. If you have no problems with the pill other than not absorbing it through your bowl, then it should work wonderfuly for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this put in about 5 months back I think. I found it uncomfortable to be inserted but it's worth it.

I got terrble periods...very heavy, long and painful! My periods now are 1 day long and I only have to wear a panty liner!! If you could call them a period !

I found the best thing is to talk to your GYN and they can let you know if it is suitable!

The Mirena is reversible and is just as effective as permanent options. It lasts for 5 years and you don't even know it's there...but are advised to check/feel for the string with each period to make sure it's still there...but have heard if it moves you feel it anyway. This only rarely happens so don't panic.

All up with buying it and getting my GYN to insert it and have a scan it cost just a little over $100...and I was only out-of-pocket about $20 - $30...pretty good for 5 years worth I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A much cheaper option than mine. I got a copper one and it cost me $95 for the IUD which I don't get anything back on and $34 for the insertion which I get most back. I didn't get a scan I would preffer that than getting probed again, to see if it's in the right spot. I'm sure it's slipped out though I can feel it scratching in my vagina (TMI sorry).

MammaMia is offline Bald is beautiful!!!
    WINNER 2006 Bub Hub Awards: Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had the Mirena inserted - and no pain! Felt a little uncomfortable - like mild mild period pain.

Costs $30 for the IUD and then the visit to the obstetrician - I timed it with my post-baby check-up.

I am so excited about it - effective long term contraception that won't interfere with breastfeeding, and great research behind it.

My obs described it as the Rolls Royce of contraception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Loved It!

I had a mirena IUD inserted after the birth of my second son, 4 and half yrs ago and would strongly recommend it to most people! I absolutely loved it and agree with BusyMumof3, I had extremely painful heavy periods up until I got the IUD then they stopped or only lasted a day. I had it removed in September last year because we were 'thinking' about having another child, I went on the pill for a few months and conceived in February!That's what I liked about it, that as soon as you take it out your fertile again within days.Yet you have the insurance of being totally covered without taking a pill every day or even knowing it was there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Thank you for your responses, I am going to ring and find out more from my obs. and I think I will get it inserted at my six week check up. Do you have to get a script for it? If I do I will have to organize it before my six week check up. What is the scan for?

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(17 days old)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Mirena! Although not as brave as some of the other gals... after one go in the obygyn's office and me whimpering from the pain of him just trying to measure my cervix, we both opted for general anasthetic to pop it in (so to speak). I was pretty cramped for a few days, but haven't looked back!

I've had two periods in nearly 3 years and they are painless, such a change from my previous life where I would have back ache, diahorrea... and best of all no PMT!!!

I seriously think it's the best thing AND I don't have to try and remember to take those cumbersome pills everyday or worry about it for at least 5 years.

I'm converted.

P.S. You do need a prescription for it and if you've had a caesarian, the six week check up mark might just hurt a little bit... I think they do the scan to make sure you're not pregnant.
    Last edited by Maghan; 20-11-2005 at 21:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Is it that painful? My tolerance to pain at the moment is not very good. Can you ask for General anasthetic. Was this a day stay at hospital to get it inserted?

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(17 days old)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maghan
    I have a Mirena! Although not as brave as some of the other gals... after one go in the obygyn's office and me whimpering from the pain of him just trying to measure my cervix, we both opted for general anasthetic to pop it in (so to speak).

Funny you say that, I joked with my OB and asked for that epidural he promised me during my labour, which he never delivered on the goods..LOL
    He said that he had inserted some under a general, but they were having something else done when he slipped it in. I told him I could think up something that needs doing so I could have him slip it in while I was under too...he just laughed at me. It was pretty painful having it inserted and the measuring part was the worst I even squealed...LOL
    Now I will probably have to go back and have it re-insterted!