+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Toddler erections

My son is 2.5 years. He is in the process of being toilet trained and still wears a nappy to sleep. A couple of times over the past few months, he has complained that something is hurting him down below. I have noticed that every time he complains he is having a little erection. Why do they do this?
    Is it because he needs to go to the toilet, as I always make him go when he says it and he does wees.
    Also, he isn't circumsised and I was wondering when it happens, is the foreskin suppose to move back, because his isn't and I guess that is the problem he is having. Some advice would be helpful, sorry for the gorry details. I may even have to ask the doc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys have both had lots of erections. I heard this was very normal. However, they have never complained that they hurt. Neither of them is circumcised either.

It is probably worth mentioning this to your GP if you are worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lis, it could be that the foreskin is tight.. I'm no foreskin expert, but if it is only when he has an erection it sounds like that could be it.

There are creams you can get that help them retract, but you're not supposed to retract them before they are ready, so I would definitely see the doc about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Smile All's well

Spontaneous erections in young boys are common and have even been observed via ultrasound in the womb.

They can occur for many reasons, including needing to urinate - there was even a term for it when I was in school - a "**** hard-on"

No, you would not expect his foreskin to be retracted at that age. Some good general information on the intact infant penis can be found at:

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/facts...fm?doc_id=3715

The momentary discomfort is probably the result of needing to urinate and having an erection at the same time (causing the bladder sphincter to shut).

The issue will most likely go away when he learns to go to the toilet in a more timely fashion.
    Last edited by JohnC; 18-11-2005 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5 year old has them fairly often. He's in the toilet training process as well and is quite taken with his 'bits', so he normally gets one from playing with himself.
    Though my son is circ'd so I can't help you with the pains, I don't know if it's related or not, but my son has never complained about it being sore - infact he's been know to say 'Look Mummy it's pointy!'
    Oh deary, boys and their bits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have heard (dont know how true it is...) that between 2 & 4 Boys have something like twice or three times as much testosterone in their bodies than when they are an adult!!!

Poor little tigers!!! (if it's true)

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    At least twice a day at changing time, my son has an erection.

He giggles when I clean him (when dirty - it goes everywhere!) and tells me that it tickles. He doesn't experience any pain, so I would have your little man checked out, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah Jakob still get them mostly when he first wake i just tell him to go do a wee.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks everyone

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. Great to know that my son isn't the only one out there doing it. Thanks John for the fact sheet...very helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 1/3 yrs old toddler erections

first time here so I'm kinda nervous, especially about this subject. I can't believe I'm writing this here as this is totally new to me and I don't know what to make of it.

Okay, here it is. I am babysitting my DGS for 10 days. His mom and dad are vacationing. I have just hopefully successfully weaned him off the pacifier and it's been 3 days so I feel sort of confident about that.

While I was making DGS his lunch to take to the park, I saw his feet in the hallway so I looked to see what he was up to. He was lying on top of his very soft huge Christmas polar stuffed bear and, well, um, undulating on it. When he saw me, he said, "No gramma, go away, no gramma." So I said okay and went away, yea right, not really but he couldn't see me. He kept it up. I kept watching him and when he'd see me, he again tell me ''no''. I smelled he'd filled up his diapers so I had to change his yucky smelling mess. When I took off his diaper, he was very erect. It was difficult to use the wipes due to that obstruction.
    When I put the new diaper on, he went back to his polar bear and started at it again.

I am only pretty certain he's not seen his mom or dad in this ''event'' and truthfully, I'm stymied.

Can you tell me if this is normal or what is going on here? I know I sound like a fool but I have two sons and this has never happened to me before. Could it be instinct? I just don't know.

Help me if you can. Again, this is not a joke. It's why I registered.