+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's some things we do:

* Grow our own veggies and herbs (YUMMO!)
    * use cloth nappies, or the eco-disposable types
    * recycle everything we can possibly recycle!
    * use low energy lights
    * turn off equipment at the wall to prevent standby power drain
    * compost - great for the veggie patch! Compost things like paper, hair (from your brush) etc
    * Use the bus...sometimes

we're not perfect, we still lapse on some things from time to time though...but we're trying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put a bucket in your shower to collect the precious H2O you use waiting for the water to heat up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone.
    Check out the poll on "how green are you". There's HEAPS of ideas in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    May i ask something without causing an argument? I tried cloth nappies and didnt like them i didnt think they were abrosbant enough.

I have always wondered is they are better? We re in a drought so using cloth nappies, wipes and linars, means alot more washing doesnt it? So its the lesser of 2 evils, landfills or water use? I have no idea if they had of worked i would ahve used them but now As i am alot ore water concious i often wonder if they are better.

Once again not wanting an argument, i have never used them, so i am asking those who do.

As for eco solutions, i got chickens for my scraps and to use what i clean out of thei pen for compost on my veg garden. I use cloth shopping bags when i remember to take them or i will buy a new one. I recycle my cans and bottles (in sa we $ for them).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I reuse my old plastic bread bags

If I'm baking my own bread I can put it in an old bread bag.

Instead of using specially brought plastic nappy bags - I flush any solid waste from the disposable nappy down the loo - and then put the nappy in the old bread bag and bin it.

I use old bread bags to collect scraps of bread etc that I can't use for compost, but my friends chooks will eat them.

I also use them for disposing of cat poo from the kitty litter tray.

Also if I'm out and buy bottled water I keep the bottle if I can, so I can reuse it or take it home to put it in the recycle bin.

I keep toilet rolls for kids craft - eg you can make little binoculars out of them with some string and sticky tape.

I reuse my ziplock bags - just wash them out and dry on kitchen sink - I try to use them instead of gladwrap. I also use plastic containers instead of gladwrap.
    Last edited by BJelly; 02-02-2009 at 10:09. Reason: remembered something else

Thanks
    Reviews
    not sure if mentioned but the government is giving away free insulation up to $1600 which covers most homes with 3/4 bedrooms. We just got ours done by Simply Solar and cost us nothing and we got nice thick batts not the blow in stuff the other guy was offering which we have been since told attracts termites...

If you want their no let me know pretty sure they are Australia wide for this rebate.

Fee

Thanks
    Reviews
    In reply to the cloth nappy question and lots of water. Basically you scrape the poo into the toilet (or use a biodegradable flushable liner). Most MCN inners are made from polar fleece and poo easily falls off it. Any remaining poo can be quickly rinsed and then you put the nappy in a dry nappy bucket and wash when you have a days full or a couple of days full (so for 1 child around 5-8 nappies plus 5-8 cloth wipes). You use 1/4 of your normal washing powder/liquid to wash the nappies or better still you use soap nuts that can then be composted. Since starting MCN full time in our household our wheelie bin is now only 1/2 full compared to being over full.

More Eco tips:
    Flush only for No.2 not wees.

Cut up card board boxes and use for note pads (write on the plain side) - hole punch and tie together for a large pad

Cover sturdy card board boxes (like nappy boxes etc) with scrap material (either from sewing scraps or cut up old t-shirts etc that are going to go in the rag bag). Add some ribbon and transform into a dolls bed for your littlies dolls and teddies.

Reuse fruit and veg bags when you go to the grocery.

Reuse bread bags and buy bread from your local bakery (support your community)

If compost isnt' your thing dig a large whole in your garden and deposit food scraps into it. Fill over and dig a new hole. You'll enrich your soil quality.

Use soap nuts - they can be used for almost anything to do with cleaning - from washing your clothes, to being used in your dishwasher or even as a shampoo for your hair.

Put white vinegar in your dishwashers rinse aid compartment instead of spending a small fortune on rinse aid.

Soak faded coloured clothes in a diluted solution of white vinegar overnight and then wash as normal - will bring back the colour.

When dying anything buy a natural dye.

Use old newspaper under garden mulch as a weed matting.

Shread your paper products (making sure to remove any staples) and either compost or donate to your local pet store or RSPCA.

Insulate your house.

Any bills you can view online ask the company to stop sending you statements - ie bank statements, telstra bills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there are some good eco-friendly ideas that can be followed for better result.

Wind Energy

Thanks
    Reviews
    i seen on a tv show putting a 2lt coke bottle in your toilet so it doesnt fill up the entire way...good savings of water

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile reply

turn off the air conditioner if its not necessary to use it. start conserving fuels. recycle plastic bags and dump them in appropriate place. :tree::tree::tree:

promotional plastic bags