+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ok, so today I made a batch of the laundry detergent mentioned above but somehow I mustn't have let the soap dissolve properly at the beginning because it has chunks of soap all through it. Is there a trick to it? I am wondering if I put too much water in at the stove-top step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The end result is always gluggy but you shouldn't have chunks of soap through it. I don't think it is possible to put too much soap in the stove top step. More likely you got a bit impatient and it didn't all dissolve. Make sure you stir it while it is heating. It will froth up quite a bit but if you take a spoonful of the solution and examine it, you won't find any bits of soap floating in it. I hope this helps, not sure how else to describe it.

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yes, I think I was just too impatient and didn't wait for it to dissolve completely. I am still using it though and it is wonderful. Everything is so soft when it comes out of the machine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    We occasionally have coffee and raisin toast at Gloria Jeans, and I've noticed that the plates and cutlery they have are really good quality, so they go in the bottom of the pram and come home to my picnic gear.

I'm not sure how that is a positive thing?!?!

I suppose it keeps the slave factories inChina pumping out their pottery and toxins to replace the plates that are stolen from Gloria Jeans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ the alternative is to throw them out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are such good quality plates then surely they would be washed and reused.

Or are they paper plates?

Even so, it is still theft. If they are paper plates headed for the rubish bin, why not ask to take them?

Doing this may even encourage them to think about recycling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    they are plastic. They come home to my 'picnic/bbq/unbreakable things for kids' stuff to be used until they die.
    I don't consider it theft, because the establisment is a take away place. It is entirely set up so that you can eat at their tables or take your purchases elsewhere.

but it is a good point, maybe i should write to them and suggest that they make an eat in option with reusable cups and plates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have time to make washing liquid, however what I do use in our household is of great importance to me. Hence I use a brand called Earth Choice. It is bio degradable, enviro friendly and grey water safe (our new home will be set up for grey water to use on my organic gardens). I dont use quite as much as the bottle says, but still find it a FANTASTIC product at around $2-3/litre depending on the product you are getting. They make a dishwashing detergent, clothes detergent, woolen wash, fabric softener and floor + surface detergent.
    We use organic soaps and bathe baby in an organic herbal brand called Pure Earth.
    When it comes to gardening I dont use any chemicals and only water with the bore at appropriate times
    Can somebody please tell me what exactly is Borax, what is it composed of because the name sounds nasty and chemical to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceAMereHumanNowAMum View Post
    You make it yourself! It takes about 15 mins in total, not including leaving it to sit overnight, and each batch lasts me a couple of months.

We buy pure soap bars from our local chemist @ $2 for a pack of 6-8, depending on what's there. I use my old food processor to grate the soap to a powder then add boiling water to dissolve - this makes about 2 nappy buckets full of detergent. I leave it overnight then bottle it (in my handy recycled laundry detergent bottles lol). You use one cup of soap per wash.

White vinegar for the rinse is ridiculously cheap, especially if you buy in bulk. It doesn't make your clothes smell like vinegar, just cuts the soap suds, leaving your clothes smelling perfectly clean, and it prevents soap scum from building up in your washing machine (which can be a problem when using pure soap).

I also make a small batch with some sard wonder soap grated in, for hubby's extra dirty clothes like overalls.

I found this tip on another baby forum, and initially just used the soap to wash bub's clothes with, then ended up using it for our clothes as well. It's a lot cheaper than using pre-flaked pure soap (such as Lux) and the water is then safe to use on your garden and lawn. We run a hose directly from the washing machine to the grass, so we don't even have to think about it, let alone carry buckets out there.
    Hi there,

Could you tell me if you can use this recipe in a front loader??

Thanks so much for addding it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Citrus vinegar is great for cupboards etc, (sorry if this has been posted before) fill a bottle with white vinegar and use the peel off oranges or lemons, (put in with the vinegar) and let stand for 2 weeks, strain, and use to wipe down cupboards, benchtops etc, vinegar works as an antispetic/antibacterial and the citrus leaves a lovely fresh smell.

A simple furniture polish - 1pt citrus vinegar mixed with 1 pt olive oil.

Also used for windows, 3tspns citrus vinegar with 1 litre of water.

Bay & Rue leaves in cupboards deter cockroaches.

to deter ants mix 1cup flour with 2cups Borax, in a screw top jar, punch holes in top and sprinkle around the foundations of the house, or if u find a hole where they are coming in squeeze lemon juice in and sprinkle peel around the entrance of the hole, powdered charcoal always helps.

Shiaro
    xxx