+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great ideas LM thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have chickens and i guess they help coz they eat all our vege scraps and then we eat their eggs. Saves on egg carton packages etc. We barely have any rubbish as most of the foods we eat is salad and veg. We try not to buy too much packaged stuff.

Oh also...use tupperware instead of clingwrap if u can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use environmentally friendly cleaning alternatives (ie enjo), better for you, your family and the environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a great thread!

*Get a pushbike!
    *Catch public transport where possible.
    *DONT FLY! Flying contributes greatly to climate change...If an airplane goes 2000km, then the co2 emissions are equivilant to every person on the plane driving 2000km individually.
    *Become educated about things...i know this is a bit off topic, but knowledge is power.
    * Share that knowledge! If your in a pub and tell one person a fact about the environment then they will tell their friends and their friends may tell more people...etc etc.
    * Try for green power.
    * Dont use 4wd's...if your in the city, they arn't nessisary..and they are pretty dangerous!
    * Plant native trees. They dont need much water and encourage wildlife.
    * Install a rainwater tank...its pretty yummy water!
    Hmmmm i may have doubled up here...i could go on forever! I think there is a real social change happening and it really makes me so happy that people are starting to get concerned about the environment. It gives me hope for my sons future!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if its been said but buy food like rice, flour, sugar etc' in bulk & store it in jars or tupperware to reduce the amount of packaging.
    Also squeezing your own fruit juice will help & it tastes so much better

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can use pure soap as a laundry detergent, and vinegar as a rinse aid.

The benefits are:

The waste water from your washing machine can be used on your lawn and garden without killing the plants.

Your clothes just smell clean, not fragranced, great for those with allergies

The absence of phosphates helps, even if you just let it go down the drain instead of using on the garden

It's so cheap, it costs about $20 for a year's supply.

The vinegar is amazing for keeping your washing machine clean and fresh - you should see the scum that gets flushed out after you stop using commercial powders and liquids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have electric hot water, turn the main switch off during the day- the water will stay hot from the night before and it'll save a bit of electricity. In fact you may even be able to only turn it on every second night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    might sound a bit dumb but where is this $20 a year soap for the laundry???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama2be View Post
    might sound a bit dumb but where is this $20 a year soap for the laundry???
    You make it yourself! It takes about 15 mins in total, not including leaving it to sit overnight, and each batch lasts me a couple of months.

We buy pure soap bars from our local chemist @ $2 for a pack of 6-8, depending on what's there. I use my old food processor to grate the soap to a powder then add boiling water to dissolve - this makes about 2 nappy buckets full of detergent. I leave it overnight then bottle it (in my handy recycled laundry detergent bottles lol). You use one cup of soap per wash.

White vinegar for the rinse is ridiculously cheap, especially if you buy in bulk. It doesn't make your clothes smell like vinegar, just cuts the soap suds, leaving your clothes smelling perfectly clean, and it prevents soap scum from building up in your washing machine (which can be a problem when using pure soap).

I also make a small batch with some sard wonder soap grated in, for hubby's extra dirty clothes like overalls.

I found this tip on another baby forum, and initially just used the soap to wash bub's clothes with, then ended up using it for our clothes as well. It's a lot cheaper than using pre-flaked pure soap (such as Lux) and the water is then safe to use on your garden and lawn. We run a hose directly from the washing machine to the grass, so we don't even have to think about it, let alone carry buckets out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Buy Australian products!!!

Probably spend less time on bub hub, turning your computer off. Read books instead of watching tv. Buy the news paper for world happenings and then recycle your newspaper by making your own paper with it. This is so much fun and you can put various other scrap materials in it!!

Try not to use sprays for spiders and flys and ants. If your going to kill them do it by hand or send them on their way outside. I know there are none chemical ways of getting rid of insects, does anyone know?

Also, vegie garden and compost is great.