+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put a bucket in my kitchen sink and use it to rinse off dirt from potatoes and I also put in water I've used for cooking when I boil pasta or steam vegies. I also put in the coffee grounds from our coffee plunger.

I put all this into my garden and it's never looked better.

I shudder to think how much wonderful topsoil and nutrients are put down our sinks every day.

I don't use the greywater from my washing up in my garden as I've heard it's not suitable because of all the fats.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default composting worm farm

I put this on another thread, but have since realised that THIS is the 'ideas' thread so sorry to repeat myself if you've already read it but for those that haven't.....
    A simple yet fantastic idea for a small home compost/worm farm is to get a polystyrene box (i know i know, polystyrene!, but it IS recycling at least). You can get large ones used for transporting veges in from vege markets and the sort, sometimes they're free, sometimes 1 or 2 $$.
    Poke some holes in the bottom and place it on the ground somewhere nice and shady on the dirt to allow worms to get to it, making sure one side is slightly higher than the other to allow worm wee to drain.
    Put a layer of dirt/soil, say an inch or 2 and then start adding your vege scraps. Dont add meat or manure of a meat eating animal (worms dont like it). Avoid onion and citrus too.
    Manure is good every now and then. Add a thin layer of soil each time you put a layer or scraps/manure on.
    Keep the lid on, water every now and then or even better, pee on it once in a while (hubbys job), alternativly you can pour a little beer on top and the worms will love it. Turn once a week with a hand trowel. Eventually you will get beautiful organic chemical free compost to put into your garen. Nothing on the shelf can beat it!!
    If you fill it too fast just get another box placing it on top and repeating the procedure.
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Reduce, reuse, recycle - your tips and ideas

I've been challenged over the past few months to buy less, consume less, waste less, throw out less. I try to think 'reduce, reuse, recycle' and thought we could all share ways we have done that and ideas for others...

Here are some of my recent ones:
    • We occasionally have coffee and raisin toast at Gloria Jeans, and I've noticed that the plates and cutlery they have are really good quality, so they go in the bottom of the pram and come home to my picnic gear.
    • Mum had a towel rail that fell apart, but the rails make great garden stakes, and the stand itself ( it had a concertina fold at each end) will be a great trellis for beans.
    • My toilet brush broke the other day, and instead of chucking the stainless steel container the brush sat in into the recycling bin and cleaned it up and kept it - don't know what for yet, but I'm sure i'll find a use.
    • As I have replaced my commercial cleaners with vinegar and bicarb I have used the spray bottles, cleaned them up and put vinegar in them instead of buying new ones.

mummajuice is offline if you're happy and you know it......
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also vinegar is a great weed killer.

Have you tried soapnuts?? They are a natural alternative to laundry detergent so you can cut down on waste there too (although postage is still a bit OTT).

I'd be interested to see some other people's ideas too. This is one area that we try to improve on but usually give in to convenience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Becareful that you don't clutter your house up waiting to find a use for something (my problem)

Here's a few ideas to start with;

I take a cup to the coffee shop with me (when I'm at work)
    If I need to buy lunch when at work, I take a plate
    When I take lunch and food to work/school it's in a re-usable container
    I use vinegar as a rinse aid instead of conditioner in the washing machine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KayteO View Post
    Becareful that you don't clutter your house up waiting to find a use for something (my problem)
    Well, yes that's my next challenge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Join Freecycle. It stops stuff going to landfill and you can get things for free rather than buying them new. Lately I have got a UV pram cover and a stair gate, saving me about $150. I've got rid of lots of stuff too.

2. Buy fresh fruit and vegies rather than things in tins.

3. I clean the house with vinegar and bi-carb. I also make my own laundry detergent which not only cuts down on waste and chemicals but saves me a bundle.

4. I always reuse the plastic bags (the small fruit and veg ones) when I do the shopping. And take my own shopping bags to bring it all home in.

5. I use cloth nappies and when I'm out I'll put them in a plastic bag. I'll wash the plastic bag with the nappies and put them back in the nappy bag for reuse next time I go out.

6. I also use cloth wipes.

7. And cloth pads

8. I empty the vacuum cleaner bag rather than using a new one each time

9. I take my lunch to work in a reusable container.

10. I carry water in a Sigg water bottle rather than using plastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamsMum View Post
    I also make my own laundry detergent which not only cuts down on waste and chemicals but saves me a bundle.
    Sounds interesting, can you please tell us how. Is is grey water safe?, not that i use grey water yet, but it is on my to do list, just have to find the funds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shanz View Post
    Sounds interesting, can you please tell us how. Is is grey water safe?, not that i use grey water yet, but it is on my to do list, just have to find the funds!
    I assume it's greywater safe. I collect my laundry water (not from the nappies!) and put it on my vegie garden. I've been doing it for years and we're all still alive

Here's how you make your own laundry detergent:

What you need:
    - a big (at least 10L) bucket with a lid
    - a bar of soap (I use sunlight)
    - 1 cup washing soda
    - 1/2 cup borax
    - water

Grate the bar of soap into a saucepan and add enough water to cover it. Put it on the stove and heat it, stirring, until the soap has dissolved.

Once the soap has dissolved, pour the solution into the bucket and add the washing soda, borax and 5L water. Stir well until everything has dissolved. Add enough water to make up approx 10L and stir again. Use about 1 cup of solution per wash. Although I have a front loader and use a bit less than this. Everything comes out nice and clean although greasy stains tend to need some pre-treatment. It is soooo much cheaper than store bought detergent.

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank-you so much for that recipe!
    I am going to make some this afternoon.
    A friend and I were about to buy some washing powder by Tri-Nature in a bulk pack but I think I'll hold off now and see if I can do my own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast