+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With using newspaper as weed matting its fantastic unless you live in a termite prone area, termites love newspaper and live in the ground when not eating wood. So the two are a bad combination

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The major eco-friendly things that I think everyone should do are

1. DO NOT USE DISPOSABLE NAPPIES

2. Do not use batteries(easier said then done, but we now limit our battery use to the car alone and simply don't use remote controls etc)

3. Limit plastics and packaging

4. Harvest as much water as you can and reduce the amount of water leaving your property (ideally no water should leave your property)

5. Do not use dispoables razors.

6. *** WATCH 'THE STORY OF STUFF' ON YOUTUBE

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelsLuke View Post
    May i ask something without causing an argument? I tried cloth nappies and didnt like them i didnt think they were abrosbant enough.

I have always wondered is they are better? We re in a drought so using cloth nappies, wipes and linars, means alot more washing doesnt it? So its the lesser of 2 evils, landfills or water use? I have no idea if they had of worked i would ahve used them but now As i am alot ore water concious i often wonder if they are better.

Once again not wanting an argument, i have never used them, so i am asking those who do.
    I don't know if anyone has answered this, but basically

It's not so much about the water; its about the energy used to produce a disopsable nappy. If you ozclothnappies; Lara quotes that it takes as much energy to produce one disposable nappy as it does to wash a cloth nappy 200times.

In Australia 800million nappies are dumped in landfill each year; and most nappies take up to 500yrs to biodegrade (Even the biodegradable ones rely on being exposed to sunlight which mostly doesn't happen once burried in landfill in plastic bags)

Zerowaste (a NZ site) say it takes one whole cup of crude oil to make one disposable nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Say no to plastic bag. Be dicipline about it! Bring reusable bags instead.

Recycle

When putting rubbish in the bin, do the right thing, put plastic in recycle bin, etc. Ive seen people still dont care about this sort of thing.

If you can afford it, get diesel/electric/hybrid car. Dont drive those that use lots of petrol!

And for us, one child only policy even when we can afford to have many. Pls dont be upset, this is just our opinion and our life.

:tree:

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wish we could recycle but we dont get the seperate bins options here and coutry area theres no recylcing depot in town, i do cans/bottle. I wait till i fill a trailer and take it to thecity but thats it

Thanks
    Reviews

Default why should the chicks carry the load?

I have been thinking about things like the massive amount of fuel and emissions involved in the motor car racing industry and comparing that to the things I am doing at home... so I would say avoiding events that involve vehicles moving at high speed, especially when moving with only one or two people in them (for example I might consider a VFT to be a good idea if more people can afford to use it as an alternative to air plane travel) .... fireworks... yes I love them too but they must have some large environmental outputs, if i go to events, walk, or take public transport, avoid things like monster car and motor bike racing .... being a mother with two boys I am very aware of the impact their future hobbies and interests may have on the air we breath and the use of fossil fuels... hmmm... there you go... is this an issue for anyone else??

Kas

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have often wondered about car racing. I have never liked it anyway but the fuel, tyres and huge waste when they crash seems alot esp for one weekend.
    I have friends who have spent so much time in planes and now with the stupidly cheap tix everyone flys and way more that people ever used to.
    I wonder about the world we will leave our children and it scares the cr@p outa me esp at xmas and I see all the used and abused things people throw out to make room for the new cr@p they want to start hording till next xmas.:tree:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me too! Eco-friendly is sooo GREAT!!! It can beat the environmental waste or landfill.

I use the face wash towels for wipe anything like kitchen bench, table, bath/toilet etc. There is ALOT of face wash towels in my full stack I decide to use them in the eco-friendly.

I never buy the sponge or cloth from the supermarkets that cost me buy more and more to replace after the damages. But they are the disposables from the supermarkets.

I am so happy to use the wash towels (doesn't matter the sizes) for any household cleaning that I can re-use it again after washing and drying out. I am happy to reduce the cost down from buying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shanz View Post
    Is is grey water safe?, not that i use grey water yet, but it is on my to do list
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamsMum View Post
    I assume it's greywater safe. I collect my laundry water (not from the nappies!) and put it on my vegie garden. I've been doing it for years and we're all still alive

Here's how you make your own laundry detergent:

What you need:
    - a big (at least 10L) bucket with a lid
    - a bar of soap (I use sunlight)
    - 1 cup washing soda
    - 1/2 cup borax
    - water

Grate the bar of soap into a saucepan and add enough water to cover it. Put it on the stove and heat it, stirring, until the soap has dissolved.

Once the soap has dissolved, pour the solution into the bucket and add the washing soda, borax and 5L water. Stir well until everything has dissolved. Add enough water to make up approx 10L and stir again. Use about 1 cup of solution per wash. Although I have a front loader and use a bit less than this. Everything comes out nice and clean although greasy stains tend to need some pre-treatment. It is soooo much cheaper than store bought detergent.
    Borax is NOT grey water safe