+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great ideas ladies! So many good ones! I'll get onto typing out my vegie recipes in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_alitz View Post
    Flush poo from nappies down the toilet? Dunno if that counts...
    Yep that certainly does count - its actually illegal to put human faeces into your rubbish bin because of the risk of disease transmission - as well as the fact that it then goes into the soil and groundwater at landfill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Share a shower! Eco friendly and fun!

www.climatecrisis.net - check it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Looking forward to those vege recipes Mel

I use safe toilet paper and handtowel (can't bring myself to get the tissues though, ouch!

I have a seperate bin inside for recycling.

I have a container near the sink for rinsing off DD's bottles instead of rinsing them under the tap.

I use cloth nappies and cloth wipes for bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start a compost heap using fruit and vegie scraps and then when mulched use to make vegie patch.
    There's nothing better than homegrown organic vegies and the kids love helping in the garden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    buy organic

save bath water, rinse water and any other water you can collect to pour on the garden

turn off shower when soaping up/shampooing

let baby run around naked - no nappies and no dirty clothes

and what everyone else has said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i recently read somewhere that if you use disposable nappies, with the wet ones, you can rip them open and put the gel (water crystals) in your compost bin and its met to be really good, you can aslo buy 100% bio-degradable disposble nappies, that break down it just 3 weeks, you can have a sample nappy sent out they are really good.and good for our enviroment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Buy recycled toilet paper - the bulk packs are cheaper than tp made from virgin pulp (except for that one ply cheapo cr@p). When trees are grown to be used for toilet paper it not only destroys the habitat of native wildlife(who can't live in pine plantations which are regularly cut down- not to mention that native wildlife who do try to live in plantation forests are poisoned, shot or burned alive), but all the bits they don't use are burned, creating huge amounts of greenhouse gases.

MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - Use a bucket in the shower whilst waiting for the right temperature - use water in the next load of washing or on the garden.
    - Compost heap (recycle scraps)
    - Switch to Green Energy
    - Turn off lights
    - Use fluorescent globes (can get a whole house installed for free! check enviro.com)
    - Ride your bike instead of driving your car
    - Use cloth nappies

And most of all - "If its yellow let it mellow; if its brown flush it down"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grow your own veges- the kids will love it, it is relaxing, it cuts down enourmously on transport costs (for $ & enviroment) and will help the budget.
    Compost- waste not want not! Why buy the stuff when you can make it for free & cut down on the rubbish going to the tip?
    Cloth Nappies, cloth wipes, re-usable liners! Cloth change mats etc too.
    Use re-usable containers instead of things like glad wrap.
    Freeze things like chook bones, green part of leeks, celery tops, spare wedges of onion etc etc as you go and when you have enough you can make your own stock- YUM!
    Keep a bucket of bath water (from your kiddlets) aside to rinse the nappies with- keeps the naps cleaner & you can cut out an initial rinse cycle & the nappy bucket smells less too!
    Buy organic where possible- food & clothes. Conventional (often called "natural") cotton accounts for only 3% of worldwide crops yet uses approximately 25% of the total world consumption of insecticides. Add to this the fungicides, herbicides, pesticides, synthetic fertilisers, defoliants and formadehyde finishing that "natural" cotton requires, and you see that natural is not so natural after all. (sorry to scare you guys- not trying to make anyone feel bad- only just found this out recently myself)
    Before you buy something, ask yourself if you really need it. Sometimes it is better to have less things, but to buy better quality so they last.
    Use energy efficient light bulbs
    Turn appliances (lol- obviously not the fridge though! Or the alarm clock for that matter...) off at the power point at night time.
    Make a weekly donation to green fleet to help make your weekly consumptions carbon neutural (I do this when I order my organic groceries online every week)
    Switch to green power if possible (we have 2 solar panels and a battery bank about to be linked to our new home!)
    When building a house, consider its aspect. If you face all your major windows south east, you will get all the lovely breezes. Consider flow through (windows apposing the ones that get the breezes) so that any hot air in the house will be flushed out by opening a window reducing the need for aircon. Place things like the garage on the western side so it catches the brunt of the heat. Plant tree's for shade, disidious (lol-I cant spell to save myself!) that will create shade over the house in summer, but let the sun warm the house in winter.
    Dont drive when you could walk.
    Join the library & borrow instead of buying. Will save a few trees & will help the family budget.
    Plant as many tree's, shrubs & plants as your block will take.
    Catch public transport.
    Use recycled paper
    Buy second hand if possible- there are plenty of things like new out there. Esp kids clothes. Each thing you buy is one less thing that needs to be produced, transported etc etc etc. And it will help the people selling the items & yourself $ wise.
    You might have guessed Im a bit of a hippie.... :-D

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Use antbacterial hand gel (it evaporates and kills germs) instead of washing your hands.

- Try to eat more raw foods (fruit and veg), cut down on cooking and appliances in kitchen

- As silly as it sounds, where less clothes, do less washing. I live in sarongs as togs as much as possible and where clothes just when i pick Jayce up or am in public. Jayce puts on the same pair of play shorts each arvo, and bub wears a nappy and no singlet. Will be different though when winter comes.

- I used to forget my green bags for shopping coz they were in the boot. Keep them on the front seat with your handbag so u don't forget them.

- When in shower, turn off the water when u soap yourself and when shampooing or conditioning, same for teeth.

- Walk to destinations wherever possible.

- It might sound a bit yucky, but down flush the toilet after every wee, not really necessary, wasted water.