+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Seeking a midwife/doula in Ararat Victoria

Hi!

I am seeking a home birth midwife or doula in Ararat (in between Horsham and Ballarat) or nearby to help me with our greatly anticipated 4th child.

I have very quick labours. I have never used any form of pain med or intervention, however, after the first birth the obgyn's all pushed the option of inducing due to their concerns that I might not make it (when I lived in Melb the hospital was 30+ minutes away), and to be honest the births were not as delightful as the first due to all the intervention. I am now located a 5 minute walk from the hospital in case of emergency. I had my other children happily with me at the births previously.

I would dearly love a homebirth so that I can enjoy the natural experience without 5 different medical staff members staring at my genital region every 2 minutes and grumbling that the kids were there though happy and fascinated with the process. I left the hospital after 14 hours for my second child and about 17 for my third, only staying that long under duress.

If anyone is able to help me, please contact me via PM or reply to this message. I am due in October, so am getting in nice and early.

Take care

Gen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey there, i cant help but just wanted to say Ararat is a great place my grandparents live there
    best of luck finding one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will ask around and get back to you....

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi im from horsham and when i was pregnant i searched long and hard for a doula without any luck. this was a while ago though so best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ukeali , Ararat is beautiful, thanks for the well wishes!

TwoBoys, Thanks for that - I would greatly appreciate it. I did find one near Daylesford when I was last pregnant (mc) and she was willing for the birth (a little begrudgingly) but not the pre and post natal. I'd much rather avoiding the whole Doctor thing if possible

BrodiesMummy, Oh, that doesn't sound like good news; there's got to be one, we're not in that unpopulated an area! What did you do in the end? Thanks for the luck - I don't believe in it, but hey, it couldn't hurt

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How exciting for you. Planning the birth of your fourth bubba! Sounds like they arrive in a hurry in your world.
    I'm not sure if you have checked out the Bub Hub inforamtion on doulas and/or independent middys. I've put a link in here for you, just in case you aren't aware of this area of the forum.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/servicesdirectorypregnancy.shtml

All the best with your search and for the preganacy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have found a midwife for you twinkles.....I have pm'd you...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Funky Chicken,

I know, I am sooo excited Thanks for the link, I'll check it out - I didn't know it was there.

Yep, babies do come in a hurry for me. The first one I was in low level labour with for a about 6 hours, and when the nurses actually agreed I could come into hospital, I arrived in a hurry and just made it as the final labour hit very fast and hard. The active stage lasted only a few minutes, had I been stuck in traffic and it wasn't 5am in the morning, I would have been a goner.

With the inductions, there was nothing for a couple of hours, then full blown labour, lasting no more than an hour and birth within 10 minutes of the pushing reflex.

It is kinda hard on the delicate tissue, but so quick that I really didn't have time to say 'ouch' let alone think about it, that is until afterwards!
    --------------------------------------------
    TwoBoys,

Thanks very much, I have responded

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know Im very late on this post, but I am orginally from Horsham, now live in Geelong, did you end up finding someone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hey Twinkles

Good luck with your search. Don't give up, there will be options. Come and join the homebirth section.

*hey - my hb midwife did her initial training at Ballarat Base and used to live next door to us near Beaufort, I'll ask her if she knows anyone.
    Last edited by Duchessa; 31-03-2007 at 13:30. Reason: to add...