+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default child support agency

Just wondering what anyone elses opinions on the current system are and for the new changes hopefully taking place soon?
    My partner has a child to a previous relationship years ago who is now 10 and he pays cs each week but when he asks for her to visit we will pay the plane fare he is told no that he will have to drive 9 hours to pick her up then drop her back and he is expected to ring every 2 weeks but he never lets the child ring so it is taken in turns also cs do not give a stuff about whether or not he is seeing the child only that they are making their money off the interest each month. but as far as i'm concerned if she won't let the child come up for school holidays then we should not have to pay cs. Also numerous occasions have happened where he didn't ring for 3 to 4 weeks and they changed their numbers without letting us now then whinged that he didn't ring when he didn't even know the numbers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpkin For This Useful Post:

ardora (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Don't get me started

Don't get me started on CSA. They are so for the women it's not funny. I think the current system s***s and I don't think too much of the new system that they are going to put in place either. I have 2 ds's that live with us and we still have to pay cs cause biomum doesn't work, just gets supported by her rich boyfriend, we pay all school, medical fees etc yet csa don't take this into consideration. i could go on forever about csa. As for your husband not being allowed to see his daughter, he can get a court order or consent order put in place so that biomum cannot stop him from seeing her. I agree that if the biomum doesn't want the dad to see their child, then they shouldn't expect to get cs. Just pm me if you need to have a chat about anything to do with this.

Tracey

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a bit scared of what I might write if I start with this one...However, I'm sure a lot more of my story will come out if this thread progresses

I've been with my DH for 8years (married for 6of them). We have that many run ins with the CSA that it's not funny. It's not the staff's fault - the current legislation is just so biased to the payee. You're right - access to the children only comes into effect if you have them more than 110 nights a year (this will change with the new legislation). It amazes me that the payee can earn up to 39k a year before their support amount is affected. It really hit home for us when we had DS as the more he earns, the more paid out in support, but no more allowance for DS - he's a set amount. Our biggest problem with the current system is that I had always planned to be a SAHM then we realised that no consideration was taken into DH's income for me (although it is for tax), so while all that I earn is taxed, none of what the payee receives is taxed. So the day that I am treated as equally as DH's ex (ie I can receive the same amount of money as she can by not working - as well as receiving rent assistance, health care and childcare allowances as well as not having to pay tax on my income is the day that the system is fair).

In fairness to a lot of the payees out there who receive child maintenance from an ex - I know there are a fair few receiving the minimum amount (so being screwed over), however, I'm presenting my side of the story.

With regards to the new legislation (not passed yet - and somehow I think this will give as much kick up as the IR and welfare to work reforms so won't be passed in it's current state) you can download a copy off FACS website (redirect from www.csa.gov.au. My belief is that this proposal is a lot fairer as it takes a lot more issues into consideration - eg. the fact that if you earn more you actually spend proportionately less on your children (you actually spend more on investments, mortgages, your second family etc.). The biggest problem with passing the proposed changes is that it will mean less money for some of the payees - this is not because the law is now favouring the payers - it's because (as stated in the draft proposal) initially the percentages were abitary figures plucked out of the air and not really indicative of how much it costs to raise a child. The problem with this is although this new legislation is evidence based, you can't be seen to be disadvantaging people who have been used to receiving more money.

Sorry this was rather a long rant (and I have a lot more where that came from ), but I wanted to get a few issues out there and I'm sure there's a few people with some opinions out there to get this thread going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well where do i start....

Firstly I would just like to say that there are mums out there that do deserve to receive CS.

On the other hand something does need to be done about the CSA legislation.

My DH has a 4yo son from a previous relationship. But he had no say in the fact that he was going to be a father. Yes, I know it takes two to tango but at the same time she should have told him that she had gone off the pill and she should have told him that he was going to be a father not let him find out through the birth notices in the paper and then be served with a subpoena that same week to attend court as she was going for full custody of the child. DH had to pay for a solicitor and $2,000 for a DNA test to check whether or not the child was his. It came back as a match. Then even after hearing that my DH didnt even know about the child to start with until his mother seen the notice in the paper and then was served to attend court he was made to pay child support monthly and pay her $3,500 back pay for 'set-up costs'. She had claimed that it cost her $900 for a bassinett and cot, $80 a week in formula, $20 a week for shoes (the child was only a few weeks old), $5 a week pocket money, $50 a week for clothes, and the list goes on plus she was also awarded loss of wages for 2 months before the birth of the child and 1 month after the birth of the child even though she had never worked a day in her life but according to the judge if she wasn't pregnant then she could have got a job. She still doesnt work, lives at home with her parents and receives the full single parent pension plus we have to pay her $340 a month child support which she uses for her own bills and social life. My DH has to knock back overtime because if his taxable income goes up then so does the child support payments.

What frustrates me the most is that early this year she kept ringing my DH at work wanting him to meet his son so after long conversations we decided that we would go and meet his son (a week before our wedding) we even bought him an easter present. It was a cool day and she wore the tartiest looking outfit and was bringing up things from their past like she was trying to upset me or something. She also brought her BF at the time and whenever my DH tried to spend time with his son alone her BF was one step behind him. She didnt even introduce my DH as his daddy just as a friend. During conversation i asked her if he went to pre-school and she said no cause they wont take him cause he still has the bottle and that she cant afford to send him. That really ticked me off as i know for a fact that seeing as she is on the full single parent pension she would be lucky if it cost her $10 a day to send him to pre-school and he did not look like the kind of child to still be having a bottle. Since then we have decided to wait till he is a bit older and can understand the situation and can hear both sides of the story and make his own mind up about his dad cause god only knows what stories she has told him. Oh and she blames me for my DH making the decision not to spend time with him.

I really feel for males that end up in similar situations as my DH. Like i said before it does take 2 to tango but the male has a right to know if he is going to be a father before the child is born and the child support that we pay her could be money going towards a deposit on a house or a new car.

Anyway i think i have done enough ranting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $80 A WEEK in formula!!!!!

Cripes, is the forumula peppered with gold dust or something.

I think the system sucks (as far as the way dad's are treated is concerned)

I know of plenty of people who pay maintenance, don't see the child (or very, very rarely). The mother sits at home and rakes in the money on the side through various avenues....... (like not declaring the live in boyfriend).

Let's hope these changes are a change for the better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I just wanted to say that i recieve CS from my ex husband for my 3 oldest children.

That money is used for everything for the kids, school fees, uniforms etc..... I do not ask him for a penny more than what he pays.

He sees the kids every second weekend(he drives to pick them up, we collect them) , and he rings them once a week.
    When i remarried & had another child, I decided to come to an arrangement to lessen his monthly payments as i felt they were to high and unfair, and it has worked well for us.
    He can now get on with putting some money away for himself.

Not all women are nasty & selfish when it comes to Child support.

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankyou jlk for giving your side of the story. I love hearing about breakups where things are able to be sorted with a minimum of arguments or bitterness. I think this thread may show the same as some others that a minority that are doing the "wrong thing" - whether that's dad's not paying correct amounts for kids or mum's demanding more, it taints the rest of us into believing stereotypes.

Big smiles to you as by lessening the ways that bitterness can form between parents improves the way your children will grow and treat people.

Sorry if I sound bitter at times (I know these posts are the main place it comes out) - it's just I see this forum as a safe place to vent. I love the idea that your agreement seems to be fair - we travel 400km every second weekend to pick up and drop off DSS and DSK (unless my in-laws are visiting and able to assist) originally this was because biomum said she didn't have a reliable car (if her car was so unreliable, why could she even drive with the kids in the first place?). I particularly harbour some bitterness at a statement that biomum said to me when DS was 6wks and she asked us to take in DSD for an unspecified time as she was having problems with her. We told her we'd take her in (we were living interstate at the time and had to find money for airfare) in 3wks at the end of the school term so we could settle some stuff and wait for my maternity allowance, tax returns, etc. Biomum told me if we couldn't afford it, I should go back to work as I knew about the other two kids when I married DH, then booked DSD a ticket. Biomum has never had a job. DSD did come to stay for 3weeks and we didn't ask for any of the family tax benefit (we were entitled as we cared for her for over 10% of that year), but it is always harder on the kids than on us.

Problem is that when we moved back to WA, DH took a $20k pay cut to move back (to see more of the kids). To decrease the amount of maintenance, (we couldn't afford what we were paying), we had to fill out another change of maintenance form (40pg document), and it had to be sent to biomum for comment, before a conference (4months later). In the meantime, we redrew on the home loan then refinanced it and blew out our credit cards in the extra it took to move and see the kids again, while we had to pay extra in petrol for the 400km. In that time we paid over $1500 extra than we should've on DH's current pay, and it wasn't backdated as they didn't think it fair to give biomum a debt. She will have extra Centrelink payments to make up some.

Last comment in this post is that while I'm just posting my BFP for No 2, we will not get anymore income (unless I return to work early again, or DH does overtime etc), why do mum's receiving maintenance receive more per subsequent child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry i got caught up in my vent earlier.

I also have a daughter from a previous relationship and she spends every 2nd weekend with her dad. and we first broke up he wasnt working so instead of getting CSA involved we came to the agreement that he would pay for her pre-school fees and anything that she needed on weekends while she stayed with him. This arrangement is still in place and as my daughter starts kindy next year and he has also remarried he has offered to pay for her schooling from fees to uniforms, excursions etc. Which i am happy with as he then knows where his money is going.

JLK i was glad that you posted your story as not all mothers claiming CSA are mean and nasty just like you said

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get the grand total of $21.67 a month.

This comes from a man who receives the full disability pension and all of the perks that go along with it, owns his own home outright - no mortgage and a lawn mowing business that he estimates has between 150 - 200 clients - so plenty of cash going through the business - not taxable income.

The 'father' of my eldest girl does not provide anything else for her. But the best one is that I have been asked by the Family Assistance Office how many nights my girl spends with him, as someone (guess who) is claiming that she does not spend the full year at home - which would reduce the amount of Family Tax Benefit I am paid and then be paid to the father.

I would also like to know that why is my husbands income an important factor when calculating or reviewing the amount of child support that the biological father has to pay? And why isn't the amount that his partner earns (if he had one) taken into account? Hardly seems fair.

In my situation anything would be an improvement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=sopoli]I get the grand total of $21.67 a month.

This comes from a man who receives the full disability pension and all of the perks that go along with it, owns his own home outright - no mortgage and a lawn mowing business that he estimates has between 150 - 200 clients - so plenty of cash going through the business - not taxable income.

The 'father' of my eldest girl does not provide anything else for her. But the best one is that I have been asked by the Family Assistance Office how many nights my girl spends with him, as someone (guess who) is claiming that she does not spend the full year at home - which would reduce the amount of Family Tax Benefit I am paid and then be paid to the father.

I would also like to know that why is my husbands income an important factor when calculating or reviewing the amount of child support that the biological father has to pay? And why isn't the amount that his partner earns (if he had one) taken into account? Hardly seems fair.
    how dare you say that the males new partner's income should be taken into account !why she has no responsibility for teh children of someone else.she didn't f*** his ex did she they aren't her biological kids.
    my partner we have 3 kids plus one on the way and i am working to at least put all of my earnings away so that we have money when i no longer work. found out she was pregnant then said he wasn't interested in being a father as he was only 17 at the time she also didn't want it she was going to have an abortion but her father talked her out of it(maybe he should be paying maintenance) his ex is involved with an interstate bikie gang and is married to a member ( he is fine) she is a ***** though she had the kid to my partner then when the kid was 2 months old she fled with everything in their house sold everything of his to pocket the money left used condoms all around the house for him to find after he finished work. she had a kid to her husband the bikie seperated from him when he went overseas she f****d some other guy got pregnant with twins and he told her to get stuffed so she got back with her husband and they are pretending to the gov that the kids are his so that the other guy doesn't pay cs or see them. but when we sugested that he adopt my partners child no it wasn't his kid was teh answer only because he is on over 80000 pannum as far as i'm concerned the matter will be taken to court there will be dna done as she rooted anyone and everyone and if it is his kid thenhe will have visitation or she will not recieve cs also they can add a partner to it but only the court can do it and cs can't say no then. we also applied 4 times to get his cs changed but they said it was financially not good for the child when the child only recieves 5 per week pocket money plus her mother and husband are on the pension he is on a full disability pension and they got a loan from the housing commision to buy the housing comm house they were in yet we cannot afford to buy a house as they all look at the mony he is paying in cs and take it as a debt. also cs sent him a notice 3 years ago claiming he owed them 50000 he rang them and they said oh no you couldn't have recieved that only when we faxed it did they believe us no apologise or nothing no he still has a debt of 8000 and it goes up each month by 56 for non payment of debt yet we npay 20 per week off the debt plus the normal maintenace. it is not worth him working it is better for me when the kids are bigger to return to work again as whatever i earn they cannot touch. which is good as she will not get a cent. shes the type that you wish would get hit by a car then cs would cease as the kid would live with the father.so anyone that thinks the new partners income should be touched needs their heads read as you are dreaming if it came in i sure as hell wouldn't be paying for a child that wasn't mine.
    i also think that if the mother remarries then the new husband takes on all the responsibilites of income to proide for her and her family he knew she has kids before tehy remarry so why should new father families ie our situation have to struggle because of her????