+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question How was your homebirth post tearing?

My DP is very supportive and positive of us home birthing our next 5 children (that we are yet to make)

I had a fairly bad 2nd degree tear, which after 6 months, it is slowly getting back to normal, if there is such a thing after VB.

I'm very pro natural intervention free birthing, in your own environment, DP and I free birthed at home, till we got a lift in with the ambo's at 6pm, to be there for only 12min of push, so I have complete confidence in our ability to birth.

I tore and it was by far the worst experience of the labour, I know why I tore, I panicked about being in the emergency room (even with only mids and DP and lights out and standing) and not my safe home, that I was in. Not to mention I should have had a doula.

I chose to have no pain relief for the stitches and wait to have bub BF first, it was 4 hours later that I was stitched so I have a very high pain thresh hold.

I'm worried about having the rest of our family at home only for the fear of

1. Tearing again
    2. The stitching up after, I would not like to be transfered to a hospital after all that.
    (midwife was not allowed in the birth centre, to stitch that degree tear)

Anyone else been in this situation, how did you prepare and how did it go?

Thanks
    Last edited by shell25; 19-01-2007 at 15:59. Reason: wasnt making any sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my DD, I had a highly interventionist birth, huge episiotomy.
    With DS, I laboured at home (planned a home birth but had awful support from ex husband... long story.... i think my birth story is around here somewhere...) and went to the hospital when i was almost fully dilated, and pushed in a more upright position. I got some grazing, nothing requiring stitches. And he was half a kilo bigger than DD!!

What I guess I'm saying, is that each baby is different, each birth is different, and care provider and environment play a huge part in tearing/not tearing.

I did perineum massage during pregnancy with DS, also I had the mw support my perineum during pushing, plus during 1st stage I used hot water as pain relief (lots of showers).

Good luck - you can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good on ya.

I've had five kids but didn't get my home birth, yet?? So can't help you too much there.

I did tear right through with my first(surgery to repair afterwards) so for the next four births I had the scar tissue supported by m/w during delivery and delivered on all fours over a beanbag, to help take pressure of that area as well. No drugs or tears and never saw an ob again after the first time around, waste of money IMPO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have only had grazes and they have been big babies...positioning is important...I'm am usually in a squatting postion...any position that allows gravity to aid the baby's pathway. I birthed in water, which soften the tissues and after abit of a think about it, I think the gradual pushing makes a difference...ever so gentle pushing at the peak of crowning...not rushing the pushing stage...breathing into it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Tearing due to no peri support

I tore because I asked for perineum support and I was not given it, this was in a birth center too.

I loved my birth and I am coming to deal with a few things that happened in it, that I don't believe should have. This I feel was due to the midwife that I had coming from a public/private general maternity section to a birth centre and she was not prepared for the way DP and I wanted to birth our baby.

I have learned my lesson now, if I don't like the midwife or someone in the birth room then next time I will ask them to leave or get a doula to do it for me.

I was on all fours and breath bub out though with no peri support I didn't really have a chance, and from crowning to all out was 12min!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shell - good luck for your next birth experiences. A doula can herself give perineum support. However, a doula cannot ask a midwife to leave the room - she'd be banned from working in that hospital/birth centre again. But a doula is a great idea all up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    positioning is very important I agree.
    I had a second degree tear with my first homebirth and the midwife stitched me at home. I birthed in a semi sitting position 8 pound 11 ounce baby. I tore from his shoulders not his head and he came out slowly.
    My second I had a 1st only just 2nd degree tear and we decided not to stitch and had to promise to keep my legs together after that homebirth and I birthed in a standing position and he came out fairly fast but the healing was fantastic and felt normal within weeks. I tried to breathe him out more than push.
    My third I birthed on my knees and it was a very fast second stage, only 7 minutes and I didn't push. 1st degree tear no stitches, and a tiny labial tear, minimal bruising and it all feels fantastic 2 weeks later.

All three were homebirths

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi shell

You already know my birth story...same BC, similar experiences...besides the length of our labours and the epiduralI had....LOL!!

I had a 2nd degree tear too!! We want a homebirth next time....no doubt!! I worry about tearing again too...Im haivg a doula next time aswell....and I want perineum support...its not something you think to ask for in the middle of pushing hey!!

I had it on my birth plan too but the middy "didnt like to touch"....fair enough but she should have told me that before I guess.

From crowing to to his head being born was about 45 mins so you would think I had time to stretch?? This confuses me a bit???

But I think I tore because by the time I had pushed for 2 1/4 hours and had a 36+ hour labour I really didnt want to breath him out....I wanted to get him the h*ll out of there...as quick as possible!!!

I still think about my birth all the time....and think "if only this" and "if only that"....sometimes it keeps me awake at night!!

Women hey....

Thanks
    Reviews

Angry we had such a detailed birth plan

Quote Originally Posted by stellarella View Post

I still think about my birth all the time....and think "if only this" and "if only that"....sometimes it keeps me awake at night!!

Women hey....
    I'm exactly the same Ell, I think about it a lot more then I ever thought I would, I'm really happy with the birth that I had, though I still find myself thinking, why no support of the perineum and why not believe me when we said we had hit active labour, at 3pm, and not advise us to come sooner, when we wanted to use the pool!!

I think I do this because I was almost going to get a Doula, though a close mentor said that because it was a BC birth, I shouldn't need it they are going to have the same idea of birth as us.

We had such a detailed birth plan, that I really don't know what the MW was doing from 10.30am when I had "the show", to when we arrive in Emergency at 6pm, I can take comfort in the knowledge, that everyone that I have spoken with since my son's birth, has been really happy with this MW and she has been a great support to them.

It just .....'s me off that we had to be her first BC birth and she freaked out about it all.

I found out later that she was visiting a friend, in that hospital and while on duty, when on the phone to me, when she was supposed to be listening to me having a contraction!!

I was the birthing woman so why the hell did I feel like I was the MW!!

She discarded our placenta,when we had asked for it to be kept.

What I find so disappointing, apart from all of this, is that Australia is so short of MW (BC and independent), with a natural intervention free approach. That the problems that we had with our birth, are so minimal in comparison to a lot of births these days.

Thanks for letting me vent.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a third degree tear first birth, and it was a planned homebirth which ended up in hospy, so a doc stitched me up, and i healed wonderfully.
    I used medi-honey on san towels, wonderful!

Second birth, at home this time, another 3rd degree tear, and my Independant midwife simply stitched me up, she had the Xylocaine to inject into my vagina as a anaesthetic, and did a great job. I healed up again very very quickly, again using the honey on the pad.

Independant Midwives have skills which hospy midwives do not, or are not allowed to use.

It would definitely be a question to ask a mw when you interview her, as every mw has their own comfort level, and some will get you to transfer for stitching, some will stitch quite happily, some will tell you to go to bed with your legs closed for a few days, and I've heard of medical super glue being used as well.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 12-02-2007 at 22:31.